CHINESE-STYLE STICKY BBQ PORK RIBS
700g pork ribs (one rack of eight ribs, uncut)
2.4 litres water
11/2 Tbs oyster sauce
3/4 Tbs dark soya sauce
2 tsp light soya sauce
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs chopped garlic
6 to 7 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 Tbs maltose (can be bought from Phoon Huat stores)
2 tsp white sesame seeds
1 sprig coriander
1 bird's eye chilli, chopped
1. Under a running tap, wash the rack of pork ribs.
2. In a wok set over high heat, add 1.2 litres of water and bring it to a boil. Immerse the rack of pork ribs in the boiling water and blanch it for five to seven minutes to remove the scum and blood. Remove the meat from the wok carefully with a pair of tongs. Set aside.
3. Set a clean wok over high heat, add 1.2 litres of water, oyster sauce, dark and light soya sauces, salt, garlic, sugar and pepper. Stir mixture well and bring it to a boil.
4. Gently place the ribs into the wok. Ensure that the meat is immersed in the liquid. Cover the wok and cook the meat for 20 minutes.
5. Switch to medium heat and cook the meat for 40 minutes. Use tongs to flip the rack of ribs every 20 minutes to ensure that it does not stick to the pan and the meat is evenly cooked.
6. Switch to low heat and cook for 15 minutes. The gravy should have reduced to a thick and sticky sauce. Watch the meat closely to ensure that it does not get burnt. To check if it is tender, insert a chopstick between the ribs. The chopstick should poke through easily. If the meat is tough, add 200ml water and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Once the meat is cooked, turn off the heat. Using a pair of tongs, carefully transfer the ribs onto a plate.
8. Drizzle 1 Tbs maltose over the ribs and brush the maltose evenly on the meat (left). Turn the rack of ribs over and repeat.
9. Preheat the oven at 220 deg C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and transfer the ribs onto the tray.
10. Roast the ribs for five to 10 minutes (with only the top heating element turned on) until they are slightly charred.
11. With a pair of tongs, transfer the ribs onto a chopping board.
12. With a knife, slice the rack into individual ribs. Arrange them on a plate and garnish with sesame seeds, coriander and chopped bird's eye chilli. Serve with rice and the reduced sauce.