SCDF ragging incident death: Corporal pushed into pump well was 'one of the most well-liked officers' at fire station

 Corporal Kok Yuen Chin was seen as one of the most well-liked officers during his stint at Tuas View Fire Station.
Corporal Kok Yuen Chin was seen as one of the most well-liked officers during his stint at Tuas View Fire Station.PHOTO: ST FILE

SINGAPORE - Corporal Kok Yuen Chin was one of the most well-liked officers during his stint at Tuas View Fire Station where he served as a full-time national serviceman.

He was always cheerful and helpful, said fellow Singapore Civil Defence Force officer Muhammad Nur Fatwa Mahmood, 34, who in October last year admitted making the fatal push that caused the 22-year-old to fall into the station's pump well.

Nur Fatwa, who was then sentenced to one year and four weeks' jail, had also admitted telling another officer to delete video footage of the incident. He has been on home detention since May this year.

Recounting the May 13 incident last year, Nur Fatwa, a staff sergeant, said he considered Cpl Kok, a Malaysian national and Singapore permanent resident, a friend.

"Everyone in the Rota (rotation), we treat them as colleagues and we are bonded as friends," he told the court on Tuesday (June 11) while taking the stand during the trial in which two commanders in charge of the station the night of Cpl Kok's drowning are contesting charges against them.

The two officers, Kenneth Chong Chee Boon, 38, a lieutenant, and Nazhan Mohamed Nazi, 40, a first senior warrant officer, were commander and deputy commander, respectively, of the station that night. They had allegedly failed to prevent a group of servicemen from pressuring Cpl Kok to enter the pump well, thereby endangering his life.

Nur Fatwa said when he heard on the morning of May 13 that it was Cpl Kok's last day of duty before his operationally ready date, he joked with him, saying: "Today, kolam."

The kolam ritual involves one entering the fire station's pump well.

He remembered Cpl Kok smiling in response but could not recall if he replied. He added that Cpl Kok made a speech then, saying that "he loves us and thank you for everything".

Nur Fatwa also said he has taken part in the kolam ritual twice. The first time, almost 10 years ago, was when he had entered the pump well of another station voluntarily. The other time was when he and some others threw another officer who was leaving Tuas View Fire Station into the station's well.

"Kolam means to celebrate an occasion, such as a departure," said Nur Fatwa, adding that he had expected Cpl Kok to enter the well "voluntarily" and would not have forced him into the well. He associated the kolam ritual with celebrations because it has "been done for quite some time".

When Cpl Kok did not resurface after he was pushed into the pump well, the group panicked, said Nur Fatwa.

"We tried to search for him, we dived in and dived out, but there was no sign of him."

He and four officers took turns diving in to locate Cpl Kok, and they eventually pulled him to the surface and out of the well. By then, 36 minutes had passed and Cpl Kok had drowned.