PMD and PAB battery fires: Victims recall close shaves, most due to non-compliant devices

Adam's bedroom was damaged after the battery of his power-assisted bicycle exploded on July 22, 2020. PHOTO: SINGAPORE CIVIL DEFENCE FORCE
New: Gift this subscriber-only story to your friends and family

SINGAPORE - When the battery of his power-assisted bicycle (PAB) exploded in his bedroom on July 22 last year, Adam (not his real name) had fortunately gone to the toilet.

"I was very lucky that day... If God did not help me, I would have died inside (the room)," he told the media on Sunday (March 21).

Already a subscriber? 

Read the full story and more at $9.90/month

Get exclusive reports and insights with more than 500 subscriber-only articles every month

Unlock these benefits

  • All subscriber-only content on ST app and straitstimes.com

  • Easy access any time via ST app on 1 mobile device

  • E-paper with 2-week archive so you won't miss out on content that matters to you

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.