Hall 7 of the Singapore Expo has been converted from an exhibition hall to a business hotel in the space of 14 weeks. The Straits Times takes a look at what travellers can expect when they book a room at Connect @ Changi.
JOURNEY OF A TRAVELLER HEADING TO CONNECT @ CHANGI
Upon arrival in Singapore
• A traveller will have to take a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test at Changi Airport.
• After passing through immigration, he will be transported directly to Connect @ Changi in a dedicated vehicle.
Checking in at Connect @ Changi
• The traveller enters through a designated entrance, and has his temperature taken after checking in.
• He will have to wait within the room until Covid-19 test results are out about six hours after the swab is taken.
• If he tests negative, he will be allowed to move around at Connect @ Changi. If he tests positive, he will be sent to a medical facility.
• The traveller will have to take a PCR test on days 3, 7 and 14. He can book appointments using the Connect @ Changi app.
• He will not be allowed to leave the facility.
Departure from Singapore
• The traveller will have to take a PCR test before departing from Singapore.
SAFE MANAGEMENT MEASURES
1. Some meeting rooms are outfitted with air-tight glass panels and a separate air ventilation system.
2. Singapore residents meeting travellers will enter through different entrances, and will have to pass any documents through a document transfer box equipped with ultraviolet lighting for disinfection.
3. Staff will place food deliveries/ amenities on shelves installed outside guest rooms to reduce contact.
4. Pilot waste water testing programme in parallel with the collection of clinical data to detect any Covid-19 virus in a non-invasive way.
5. Cleaners will not enter the guest room for the duration of a traveller’s stay; they will clean the room only after he checks out, and do so while wearing full personal protective equipment.
6. Staff will wear at least face shields and face masks.
ABOUT THE FACILITY
The facility will have 150 guest rooms and 40 meeting rooms initially; these will increase to 660 guest rooms and 170 meeting rooms by about May.
Guest room rates start from $384 based on a minimum stay of 24 hours; hourly rates apply after the first day.
Meeting room rates start from $20 per hour for a four-person room, and go up to $200 for a room that can accommodate 22 people .