Help after disabled's caregivers die

It is important to care for people with disabilities, but what happens when their caregivers die? There are various services to help adults with special needs in such situations, ranging from different living arrangements to financial planning schemes.

If the disabled cannot be cared for in their own homes, they can live in

• community group homes,

• adult disability homes, or

• adult disability hostels.

The community group homes are designated Housing Board rental flats which have disabled-friendly features. Such homes are suitable for people who are employed and can live independently with other people who have special needs.

Adult disability homes provide long-term residential care, along with therapy and recreational activities. But admitting someone into such welfare homes is usually considered a last resort, and reports from professionals, such as social workers, are needed to apply.

The hostels are for people whose disabilities are less severe and thus do not need institutional care. Training in work and life skills is offered.

There are also financial plans that caregivers can consider to ensure their charges are supported, even after the caregivers are gone.

Caregivers can set up a trust fund with the Special Needs Trust Company, which disburses monthly payouts to cover the basic expenses of a person with special needs after their caregivers die. The trust fund requires $5,000 to start.

Parents can also set aside their Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings for their children with special needs under the Special Needs Savings Scheme.

Priscilla Goy

• For more information, go to and click on "For Adults"

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 07, 2016, with the headline 'Help after disabled's caregivers die'. Print Edition | Subscribe