Also known as the stand or band-collar shirt, the collarless shirt is the perfect smart-casual shirt to wear now.
The style is less rigid-looking and without a collar to trap heat around the neck, it is also cool to wear in Singapore's humidity.
The uninterrupted line from the neck to the shoulders gives the shirt a clean silhouette, especially when it has hidden buttons and no visible design details.
Dress it up or down depending on the occasion:
• For a casual weekend look, roll up the sleeves and pair it with chinos and loafers.
• If you can get away with a less formal look at the office, try dressing down a slim-fit suit with a plain collarless shirt and sneakers.
• Leave the shirt untucked for an easygoing and cool vibe.
• Unless you are going for a preppy look, leave the top button unbuttoned.
• A collarless shirt in a dark colour or dark denim wash can have a rock 'n' roll vibe. Pair it with jeans and a bomber jacket.
Here are some picks:
1 . Bob cotton shirt in beige, $62, The Authority
Beige might not be a common colour choice for a top, but it is a versatile and neutral one. Wear this with tailored shorts or slouchy jogger pants.
2. Jacquard pattern cotton shirt, $115, Cos
With such a busy pattern on top, keep the bottom plain to balance the look. Pair it with dark wash denim and sneakers for a streetstyle look or with black pants and dress shoes for a more formal look.
3. Linen long-sleeved shirt with red stripes, $39.90 (usual price $49.90), Uniqlo
Avoid wearing white pants with this top as it is too matchy-matchy. Go for sand-coloured chinos instead.
4. Linen ink blue shirt with zipper, $69.90, Zara
With the zipper detail, this shirt can double as a thin jacket. Wear a T-shirt in a contrasting colour underneath.
5. White shirt with speckled detail, $69, G2000
The speckled detail of this white shirt is better suited for casual occasions. Wear it with jeans and boots.