PETALING JAYA - The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) said on Thursday (Feb 25) it has blocked access to online news portal The Malaysian Insider citing “public complaints” against the site.
Malaysian media had reported that readers on the Celcom and Unifi network had been unable to access the site. When attempting to reach the site, users were forwarded to the MCMC page stating that the website is "unavailable in Malaysia as it violates the National laws", The Star reported.
In a statement released on Thursday, (Feb 25) the MCMC said it had taken action against the site for publishing content that had breached Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act, which deals with abuse of communications networks, the Malaysiakini website reported. The move also followed complaints from members of the public, the MCMC said.
“MCMC reminds news portals not to spread or publish articles which veracity has yet to be confirmed. This could invite confusion and cause unwanted situations,” the statement said, without specifying which were the articles published.
Earlier, the portal said it had not received any notice stating that it had flouted local laws, The Star reported.
Readers using other telco carriers were still able to access the website unhindered.