SYDNEY • A Melbourne teen alleged to have bomb-making materials pleaded guilty yesterday to preparing for a terror act, reports said.
The case has highlighted concerns about youth radicalisation.
The 17-year-old told the Children's Court yesterday that he was "guilty" of one charge of engaging in an act in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) said.
Two other less serious charges against the teen, who cannot be identified, were dropped and he did not apply for bail.
Earlier this year, court documents revealed that police seized a computer from the boy's home when he was arrested in May.
The computer contained encrypted documents entitled "Pressure Cooker Backpack Bomb With Switch Detonator" and "Make A Bomb In The Kitchen Of Your Mom", the ABC said.
The national broadcaster said other items seized during the raid included a pressure cooker and steel pipes fitted with caps.
The teenager is due to face a hearing in a county court on Thursday.
In recent months, Australia's government has shown increasing concern over home-grown extremism, raising the country's terror alert level to high last year.
Police have described as "disturbing" the high number of young Australians charged with or involved in violent actions. The matter has raised concerns about how well the government is dealing with at-risk youngsters in the Muslim population.
Last week, five people, including a 15-year-old boy, were charged in Sydney over a terror plot targeting a government building.
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, REUTERS