Straitstimes.com header logo

Choose edition

Search

singapore

asia

world

opinion

life

business

sport

Visual

Podcasts

STClassifieds

Paid press releases

Advertise with us

FAQs

Contact us

 

Ebola

Ebola is spreading faster beyond Congo epicentre, straining outbreak response

The government also cited weaknesses in surveillance, infection control, safe burials and logistics as obstacles to interrupting transmission.
The government also cited weaknesses in surveillance, infection control, safe burials and logistics as obstacles to interrupting transmission.

Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows

Members of the Civil Protection team disinfect after handling the body of an unidentified man who died of Ebola, in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Members of the Civil Protection team disinfect after handling the body of an unidentified man who died of Ebola, in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months

FILE PHOTO: Members of the Civil Protection team, which works to help mitigate the spread of the Ebola virus, wearing personal protective equipment (PPE), disinfect after handling the body of an unidentified man, who according to his family, died of Ebola, in Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, July 10, 2026. REUTERS/Gradel Muyisa Mumbere/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Members of the Civil Protection team, which works to help mitigate the spread of the Ebola virus, wearing personal protective equipment (PPE), disinfect after handling the body of an unidentified man, who according to his family, died of Ebola, in Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, July 10, 2026. REUTERS/Gradel Muyisa Mumbere/File Photo

WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months

WHO said earlier in August that reversing Ebola’s spread would be possible within a three-month period, but since then there have been signs that it has worsened.
WHO said earlier in August that reversing Ebola’s spread would be possible within a three-month period, but since then there have been signs that it has worsened.

Ebola outbreak becomes Congo’s deadliest as UN warns virus is ‘winning’

A health worker measuring the temperature of a woman suspected of having Ebola as she is transported by motorcycle taxi to Rwampara Hospital in Ituri, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in May.
A health worker measuring the temperature of a woman suspected of having Ebola as she is transported by motorcycle taxi to Rwampara Hospital in Ituri, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in May.

Ebola outbreak spreads to sixth Democratic Republic of Congo province

The latest report said that the number of confirmed Ebola cases in Congo has increased to 4,665, including 2,184 deaths.
The latest report said that the number of confirmed Ebola cases in Congo has increased to 4,665, including 2,184 deaths.

Congo reports Ebola death in new province, official says

The ongoing Ebola outbreak, Congo’s 17th, has so far infected 4,566 people, including 2,128 deaths, according to government data released on Aug 12.
The ongoing Ebola outbreak, Congo’s 17th, has so far infected 4,566 people, including 2,128 deaths, according to government data released on Aug 12.

New transmission from animals likely caused Congo-Uganda Ebola outbreak, study says

FILE PHOTO: Red Cross workers walk in a formation as they disinfect Rwampara general hospital before handling the body of a person who died of Ebola, as aid agencies intensify efforts to contain a new Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain, in Rwampara outside Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 21, 2026. REUTERS/Gradel Muyisa Mumbere/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Red Cross workers walk in a formation as they disinfect Rwampara general hospital before handling the body of a person who died of Ebola, as aid agencies intensify efforts to contain a new Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain, in Rwampara outside Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 21, 2026. REUTERS/Gradel Muyisa Mumbere/File Photo

Ebola deaths surpass 2,000 in Democratic Republic of Congo

The latest data from Congo’s public health institute also reported 4,381 confirmed cases across five provinces.
The latest data from Congo’s public health institute also reported 4,381 confirmed cases across five provinces.

Seven passengers on boat intercepted near Kinshasa test negative for Ebola

FILE PHOTO: A volunteer uses a megaphone to make announcements while intercepting a passenger boat, after, according to officials, a passenger who had disembarked earlier died after developing symptoms consistent with Ebola, in a place given as Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, in this handout image released on August 5, 2026. International Organization For Migration/Handout via REUTERS/ File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A volunteer uses a megaphone to make announcements while intercepting a passenger boat, after, according to officials, a passenger who had disembarked earlier died after developing symptoms consistent with Ebola, in a place given as Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, in this handout image released on August 5, 2026. International Organization For Migration/Handout via REUTERS/ File Photo

E-paper

Newsletters

Podcasts

RSS Feed

About Us

Terms & Conditions

Personal Data Protection Notice

Need help? Reach us here.

Advertise with us

Download the app

Get unlimited access to exclusive stories and incisive insights from the ST newsroom
Subscribe Placeholder

News titles published by SPH Media

The Straits Times|The Business Times|Lianhe Zaobao|Berita Harian|Tamil Murasu|Stomp
MDDI (P) 046/10/2025. Published by SPH Media Limited, Co. Regn. No.202120748H. Copyright © 2026 SPH Media Limited. All rights reserved.