Trump says ‘real pain is yet to come’ for Yemen’s Houthis and their backers in Iran
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
Houthi supporters rallying on March 28, in Yemen's capital, Sanaa.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Follow topic:
WASHINGTON - US President Donald Trump vowed on March 31 that strikes on Yemen’s Houthis will continue until they are no longer a threat to shipping, warning the rebels and their Iranian backers of “real pain” to come.
Mr Trump’s threat on the Truth Social network comes as his administration battles a scandal over a chat between senior US officials
It also comes amid a sharpening of Mr Trump’s rhetoric towards Tehran, with the president threatening that “there will be bombing
“The choice for the Houthis is clear: Stop shooting at US ships, and we will stop shooting at you. Otherwise, we have only just begun, and the real pain is yet to come, for both the Houthis and their sponsors in Iran,” said Mr Trump.
Mr Trump added that the Houthis had been “decimated” by “relentless” strikes since March 15, saying that US forces “hit them every day and night - Harder and harder.”
“Our attacks will continue until they are no longer a threat to Freedom of Navigation,” he said on his social network.
In recent days, Mr Trump has repeatedly insisted on what he calls the success of the US strikes on the Houthis whenever he is asked about the so-called “Signalgate” scandal
The Atlantic magazine revealed last week that its editor was mistakenly included in a cha
The officials, including Mr Trump’s National Security Adviser Mike Waltz and Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, revealed details of air strike timings and intelligence.
Mr Trump has rejected calls to sack Mr Waltz or Mr Hegseth and branded the scandal a “witch hunt.”
“This case has been closed here at the White House as far as we are concerned,” White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters on March 31.
Mr Waltz and Mr Hegseth both reposted Mr Trump’s Truth Social message about the Houthis on March 31. AFP

