Spotlight on fire protection at HDB homes after string of blazes

Having a fire extinguisher at home is essential but many don't have it

A fire broke out at a unit in Block 293D Bukit Batok Street 21 last Thursday. A 40-year-old man who was rescued from the flat died on Saturday from third-degree burns. Several others were injured. Experts recommend that homes be equipped with a fire
Since June last year, it has been mandatory for all new residential homes to have smoke detectors installed. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG
New: Gift this subscriber-only story to your friends and family

Bukit Batok resident Regina Wong said that after last Thursday's fire at the Housing Board block opposite hers, she has decided to get a fire extinguisher.

The fire at a unit in Block 293D Bukit Batok Street 21 saw firefighters pulling out from the burning flat a 40-year-old unconscious man, who died on Saturday afternoon from third-degree burns. Several others were injured.

Already a subscriber? 

Read the full story and more at $9.90/month

Get exclusive reports and insights with more than 500 subscriber-only articles every month

Unlock these benefits

  • All subscriber-only content on ST app and straitstimes.com

  • Easy access any time via ST app on 1 mobile device

  • E-paper with 2-week archive so you won't miss out on content that matters to you

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 22, 2019, with the headline Spotlight on fire protection at HDB homes after string of blazes. Subscribe