Singapore Flyer suspends flight operations after detection of technical issue

People riding the Singapore Flyer on Jan 15, 2022. The Flyer has suspended operations after detecting a technical issue on Jan 20, 2022. ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN

SINGAPORE - The Singapore Flyer is suspending operations of its observation wheel after the detection of a technical issue.

Its operator Straco Leisure said on Thursday (Jan 20) that the matter was discovered during a routine maintenance inspection.

It is working with the Building and Construction Authority to conduct the necessary inspection, repairs and rectification works.

The operator did not specify a date for operations to restart.

It added that it is working to contact affected customers with prior flight bookings.

They can also visit the website to register for a rescheduling of their visit date, or contact their booking agent directly.

Straco Leisure apologised to customers and business partners for any inconvenience caused.

The Time Capsule attraction at the Singapore Flyer building remains open from Thursday to Sunday and on public holidays.

Shops and restaurants at the building will remain open as well. But guests are advised to check on the operating schedules prior to visiting.

Some establishments are expecting a drop in customers should the suspension persist. 

Ms Nicole Chong, 25, who works at gelato shop Gelatissimo, expects the suspension to lead to a dip in customers.

She noted that businesses in the building had seen more footfall last month due to the year-end holiday season and easing of Covid-19 measures.

Mr Cheong Jie Qi, 20, who works at bicycle rental shop GoCycling, said business is quieter now because of the Omicron variant and the end of the school holidays.

But he does not expect the shop’s business to be much affected, as people also visit the building to rent bicycles.

The Flyer, which is 165m tall and has a diameter of 150m, was officially launched in 2008.

It had suffered breakdowns on a few occasions in the past.

In 2019, it suspended operations after a technical issue involving one of the spoke cables occurred at around 9.40am on Nov 19, and all 39 customers on board were evacuated.

In early 2018, a technical issue forced the facility to shut down for two months.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.