Five South Korean women arrested for causing trouble in special zone in Orchard Road

The arrest was within a "smaller, even more restricted special zone" within the enhanced security special event area. ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN

SINGAPORE - Five South Koreans were arrested on Monday night (June 11) for causing trouble in Orchard Road, a special zone demarcated for the Trump-Kim Summit.

The group of women were arrested at the junction of Tanglin Road and Nassim Road at around 9.10pm, near The St Regis Singapore hotel where North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was staying. Mr Kim was on his way to visit Marina Bay Sands and the Gardens by the Bay then.

The arrest was within a "smaller, even more restricted special zone" within the enhanced security special event area, which featured tighter security than other areas owing to the closeness to where both Mr Kim and US President Donald Trump were staying, police said in response to queries from The Straits Times.

Strict security measures are enforced within the special event areas from June 10 to 14, especially in the Tanglin area and Sentosa.

Earlier on Monday, the group had unfurled banners promoting their cause near Capella Singapore hotel in Sentosa, the location of the summit meeting.

Police said they were also spotted near the Shangri-La Hotel, where Mr Trump had been staying, and had protest placards on them. They were told to leave the special event area.

Instead of complying, the five women headed to the nearby St Regis which was still within the special event area, said the police.

"The police again stopped and warned them not to carry out any protest activities. During the engagement, they refused to cooperate with the police, became rowdy and started to shout. Despite police's repeated warnings, the group continued shouting and were subsequently arrested," the statement said, adding that the group had struggled during the arrest.

A Dutch couple who lived nearby said they saw around 50 policemen, including those donning riot gear, surround the women and placing them under arrest. The group had not displayed their protest signs at that point in time.

"They were shouting very loudly to the police. We saw them being handcuffed and led away by a lot of officers," said the witness who declined to be named.

Police investigations are ongoing.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.