SINGAPORE - A fire that engulfed a terrace house in Little India on Friday night (July 6) was likely sparked by a power-assisted bicycle that was left charging, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said.
SCDF released its preliminary investigation findings into the incident at 8 Sing Avenue in a Facebook post on Sunday.
No one was hurt in the fire, which happened at about 9pm. It took firefighters nearly two hours to extinguish the flames.
At the height of the fire, seven water jets were used to bring it under control.
SCDF said that preliminary investigations indicate the cause of the fire is of electrical origin and had originated from a power-assisted bicycle that was being charged.
It reminded the public that such fires can be prevented by observing the fire safety tips on charging personal mobility devices.
Users should avoid overcharging the battery on their devices and leaving it to charge overnight. They should also place the batteries on hard flat surfaces to allow heat to dissipate, SCDF said.
The number of electric scooters that burst into flames soared to 40 last year, a sharp rise from nine in 2016, according to SCDF figures released in February.