Fire at Sing Avenue, no reported injuries

SCDF was alerted to a residential fire incident at Sing Avenue on July 6, 2018.
SCDF was alerted to a residential fire incident at Sing Avenue on July 6, 2018.PHOTO: FACEBOOK/SCDF
A fire broke out at Sing Avenue on the night of July 6, 2018.
A fire broke out at Sing Avenue on the night of July 6, 2018.ST PHOTO: ARIFFIN JAMAR
A fire broke out at Sing Avenue on the night of July 6, 2018.
A fire broke out at Sing Avenue on the night of July 6, 2018.ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN
Roads were cordoned off with police tape, and a crowd of about 50 onlookers had gathered.
Roads were cordoned off with police tape, and a crowd of about 50 onlookers had gathered. ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN
Onlookers at the scene of the fire at Sing Avenue on July 6, 2018.
Onlookers at the scene of the fire at Sing Avenue on July 6, 2018.ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN

SINGAPORE - A fire at least two storeys high engulfed a terrace house in Little India on Friday night (July 6).

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it responded to a fire incident at 82 Sing Avenue at about 8.55pm, and put out the fire at about 10.45pm.

There were no reported injuries.

“Upon SCDF’s arrival, the raging fire had engulfed the entire house,” said the SCDF in a post on its Facebook page. 

Firefighters surrounded the fire and prevented it from spreading. A total of 14 firefighting and support vehicles were involved in the firefighting operation.

At the height of the fire, seven water jets were used to bring it under control.

SCDF also said that the occupants of the affected house had evacuated on their own before the firefighters’ arrival.

Police assisted in the evacuation of residents along Sing Avenue and nearby Rangoon Lane.

Damping down operations are ongoing to prevent any potential rekindle of fire from the burnt hot surfaces.

When The Straits Times arrived at the scene in Sing Road at about 10pm, there were seven police cars, an ambulance and a fire engine in the area.

Roads were cordoned off with police tape, and a crowd of about 50 onlookers had gathered. 

Those understood to be living at the address were sitting at the roadside. Among them was an elderly couple, whose neighbours said worked as cleaners at the Singapore General Hospital and rode an e-scooter to work. 

The couple’s son, who lives with them, said he heard a loud boom while they were in their rooms upstairs. He said the fire happened outside the living area of the house.

“The room then filled with smoke and we had to come out,” said the man, who declined to give his name.

It is understood that there were at least three foreign tenants from India who lived in the house as well.

When the fire was put out, the foreign tenants were heard asking how they could retrieve their passports.

A neighbour living down the road, who did not wish to be named, said he was watching television when he heard a loud explosion. 

He rushed out and traced the source of the fire to the unit, where he saw sparks “like fireworks”.

“The fire rose to about two storeys and in twenty minutes about 75 per cent of the house was burnt down,” he said.

Jalan Besar GRC MP Denise Phua was at the scene too. 

She said: “Thanks to the frontliners - the Singapore Civil Defence Force, the police - the fire has been put out and they are making sure everything is okay. There are no casualties as far as we know.”