Christmas light-up decoration along Orchard Road catches fire

The Christmas decoration along Orchard Road that caught fire.
The Christmas decoration along Orchard Road that caught fire.ST PHOTO: LEE MIN KOK

SINGAPORE - A Christmas decoration on Orchard caught fire on Thursday (Dec 10) evening - the second flare up at the light-up this month.

This incident was captured on photos and videos posted online as it happened.

Shoppers around the Orchard Gateway shopping mall were seen taking numerous shots of a gold branch fixture on a lamppost going up in flames.

Bank executive Dan Chua, 33, was waiting at the traffic light near the lamppost with his girlfriend when he heard a crackling sound.

The decoration began smoking before it burst into flames, he said. 

"It was a surprise to everyone. There was no warning," Mr Chua said.

The small blaze was put out by Singapore Civil Defence Force personnel to the cheers of onlookers.

SCDF said they received a call about the fire at 8.57pm. It sent one fire engine and red rhino to the scene.

Firefighters  extinguished the fire using one hose reel jet and one compressed air foam backpack.

Nobody was injured and the fire investigation is still ongoing, SCDF said. 

On Dec 2, a Christmas tree outside Abercrombie & Fitch burst into flames. That was due to an accident involving an electrical source, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said.