Myanmar air strike on monastery kills 14: Witnesses
Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments
- A Myanmar military air strike killed 14 civilians at a monastery during a Buddhist Lent meditation retreat in Sagaing region.
- The victims were mostly elderly, aged between 50 and 70, and the attack was described as intentional by rebel witnesses.
- UN investigators recently accused Myanmar’s military of deliberate aerial attacks on civilians.
AI generated
YANGON – A Myanmar military air strike on a monastery where civilians were gathered for a meditation retreat marking Buddhist Lent killed 14 people, two rebel fighters who witnessed the aftermath said.
Myanmar has been consumed by civil war since the military staged a 2021 coup ousting the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi and detaining the Nobel Peace Prize laureate.
Over the past five years, more than 100,000 people are estimated to have been killed across all sides as the military battles an array of pro-democracy and ethnic minority rebels.
The Aug 21 attack hit a monastery hall around 9am (10.30am Singapore time) in Myaung township of central Sagaing region, killing 11 men and three women, Nway Oo Myaung, a pro-democracy rebel who helped clear bodies.
“Older people had entered the meditation centre for three months” to mark the period of Buddhist Lent, which roughly coincides with Myanmar’s rainy season, he said on Aug 21.
“Those who were killed, their ages were between 50 and 70,” he added. “It wasn’t a mistaken target, they intentionally attacked a monastery.”
It was not immediately possible to contact the Myanmar military for comment.
A second local opposition fighter, speaking on condition of anonymity, said on Aug 22: “Five dead people were from our village and the other nine were from other villages.”
“While we were trying to rescue people, the aircraft came to bomb a second time,” he said.
It was not immediately possible to contact the Myanmar military for comment.
Strikes from above
Myanmar’s military often relies on its Chinese- and Russian-supplied jets to keep rebels at bay, analysts say.
UN investigators from the Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM) last week published a report accusing the military of “indiscriminate and intentional aerial attacks against civilians”.
Public buildings, most often monasteries and schools, are frequently the sites of reported air strikes.
Myanmar’s government called the IIMM publication “one-sided allegations against Myanmar’s security forces based on unverifiable and inaccurate information”.
Conflict monitoring group ACLED said in a report in July that “the military’s ongoing terror strategy includes a focus on civilian infrastructure and social gatherings, such as weddings and religious festivals, to maximise psychological impact”.
After five years of martial rule, Myanmar’s military staged elections around the start of 2026 – touting the exercise as a return to normality.
The IIMM report said it “observed a notable escalation in aerial attacks in the months preceding the elections”.
Democracy watchdogs derided the vote as a charade to rebrand military rule while excluding the popular Suu Kyi, sidelining her party and punishing dissenters with prison time.
The election resulted in coup leader Min Aung Hlaing taking over as civilian president in April – surrendering the office of armed forces chief to a key aide.
Min Aung Hlaing is currently spearheading a diplomatic blitz to shake off Myanmar’s post-coup pariah status and gain diplomatic recognition abroad.
India, China, Laos and Thailand have all openly embraced him with visits to their capitals – drawing criticism from campaigners who complain they have granted him undue legitimacy.
This week, Min Aung Hlaing visited Russia and Belarus, which have remained steadfast allies with Myanmar since the coup.
Myanmar’s military has in recent months made gains on the battlefield after peeling off some of the most powerful armed factions with China-backed truces. AFP

