YouTube services ‘back to normal’ after glitch hits users in US, Singapore, Australia and India
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
In Singapore, more than 2,900 reports of service disruption on YouTube were recorded on Downdetector.com at around 9.20am. Reports dropped to 40 by noon.
PHOTO: AFP
SINGAPORE – YouTube on Feb 18 said it has fixed a glitch on the platform that impacted thousands of accounts in several parts of the world, including the United States, Singapore, Australia and India.
In a post on social media platform X on Feb 18, TeamYouTube said: “This issue has been fixed across YouTube.”
The platform also thanked users for reporting the issue and being patient with YouTube as it sorted the matter out.
In an update on a Google forum post, YouTube said all its platforms – YouTube.com, the YouTube app, and YouTube Music, Kids and TV – “are back to normal”.
In an earlier update on X, TeamYouTube said the glitch prevented videos from appearing across multiple surfaces, including the homepage and the app.
More than 329,000 users in the US reported having issues with the platform on Downdetector.com as at 9.18am on Feb 18, Singapore time. The number of reports started to dip from 9.33am and some 66 reports remained at around noon.
According to a Reuters report citing data from the user-reported outage tracker, YouTube users in Britain and Mexico were also experiencing issues with the platform.
Also citing data from Downdetector.com, Bloomberg reported that Google, Amazon Web Services and Cloudflare were among other sites experiencing issues in the US.
YouTube, on its Google forum post earlier on Feb 18, said there was a small number of reports that some people were unable to log in to YouTube TV.
More than 2,900 reports of service disruption on YouTube were recorded in Singapore on Downdetector.com at around 9.20am.
PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM DOWNDETECTOR.COM
Some 8,920 reports of service disruptions for YouTube TV and about 2,690 reports for service disruptions on Google were recorded on DownDetector in the US as at 9.18am Singapore time. The number of reports fell to less than 10 each on both platforms by noon.
In Singapore, more than 2,900 reports of service disruption on YouTube were recorded on Downdetector.com at around 9.20am. Reports dropped to 40 by noon.
Several netizens in Singapore took to social media platforms and online forums to talk about the issues they faced with the platform.
In a HardwareZone forum thread on Feb 18 discussing the YouTube issue, user CyberGhost said: “YouTube also wants to enjoy a holiday during CNY (Chinese New Year), and there’s nothing wrong with that.”
This was in response to several other members who reported having issues with the platform. Some users on the HardwareZone forum said the issue was “only on the homepage”, while all other YouTube features were functioning.
When The Straits Times opened the YouTube website at around 9.20am, a blank screen showed up on the platform’s homepage. However, links to videos could be opened and videos from such links could still be played.
As at 10.40am, ST observed that the platform’s functions had resumed.
In Australia, the number of reports of YouTube service disruptions peaked at around 9.14am Singapore time, with some 11,870 reports made on Downdetector.com at that time. The number of reports dipped to 149 as at 12.15pm.
In India, 19,250 reports of service disruptions were made on Downdetector.com as at 9.50am. Data from the site shows that the number of reports fell to 156 as at noon.
YouTube, which is owned by Google, is the biggest video-sharing platform in the world, and has more than 2.5 billion active users every month, according to AFP.


