While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, Jan 12, 2025

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

People line up to enter TSA checkpoints in Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), located in Southern California, on January 6, 2025.  (Photo by Daniel SLIM / AFP)

Donald Trump made immigration a core issue during his campaign, pointing out that 1.6 million people immigrated to the US in 2023.

PHOTO: AFP

Google Preferred Source badge

Indian H-1B holders avoid travelling out of US

Mr Kumar, an Indian-origin automotive design engineer from Santa Clara, California, who is currently on holiday in Mumbai, said his immigration attorney has asked him to “return to the States before Jan 20” – the day of US President-elect Donald Trump’s swearing-in.

Many Indian H-1B holders told The Straits Times that their employers and lawyers have told them to avoid travelling out of the US in case a visa rule change blocks their re-entry.

The H-1B is a temporary visa to the US for skilled foreign workers with a minimum qualification of a bachelor’s degree. Renewable every three years, it is a stepping stone to permanent residency, better known as a green card.

Indian professionals in the US are now anxious about Trump making immigration policy changes that would upend their American dreams.

READ MORE HERE


Suspected killer of ex-Cambodia lawmaker sent to Thailand

PHOTO: EPA-EFE

A suspected hitman accused of killing a Cambodian former opposition lawmaker in a brazen attack in Bangkok was handed over to Thai authorities on Jan 11 from Cambodia, where he had been arrested after crossing the border.

Thai national Ekkalak Paenoi, 41, faces charges including premeditated murder in the Jan 7 shooting death of Mr Lim Kimya, 74, in the Thai capital.

“The suspect confessed to the crime and to being the person in the arrest warrant,” assistant national police chief Somprasong Yentuam told reporters.

READ MORE HERE


Ukraine captures two North Korean soldiers in Kursk

PHOTO: X/@ZELENSKYYUA

Ukraine has captured two North Korean soldiers in Russia’s Kursk region, President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Jan 11, the first time Ukraine has announced the capture of North Korean soldiers alive since their entry into the war last autumn.

North Korean regular troops entered the war on Russia’s side in October, according to Kyiv and its Western allies, who initially estimated their numbers at 10,000 or more.

In a post on X, Mr Zelensky said that the soldiers had been brought to Kyiv and were communicating with the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), the country’s domestic intelligence agency.

READ MORE HERE


LA city, fire officials deny rift as infernos rage

REUTERS

Los Angeles city and fire officials put on a united front on Jan 11 following reports of a furious row over the handling of devastating wildfires raging throughout the city.

In an at-times tense press conference, Los Angeles mayor Karen Bass denied a report that she had been planning to fire Los Angeles City Fire Department chief Kristin Crowley.

Ms Crowley, standing alongside Ms Bass, meanwhile said the city’s political leaders, fire and police departments were “all on the same page” as they battled the devastating infernos that have left at least 11 people dead.

READ MORE HERE


Kyle Walker has asked to leave Manchester City

Manchester City captain Kyle Walker has asked to leave the club, manager Pep Guardiola confirmed after their 8-0 thrashing of Salford City in the FA Cup on Jan 11.

Walker was left out of Guardiola’s squad for the third round tie with the Spanish manager saying the right back had asked to “explore options abroad”.

The England international was linked with a move to German giants Bayern Munich after City clinched the treble in 2023.

READ MORE HERE

See more on