Trump adviser Waltz’s team set up 20 Signal chats on global issues, says US report

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Signal app logo and U.S. flag are seen in this illustration taken March 26, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

The Politico report says at least 20 group chats were set up on the commercial Signal app to coordinate official work.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Follow topic:

- The team led by US President Donald Trump’s National Security Adviser Mike Waltz set up at least 20 group chats on the commercial Signal app to coordinate official work on issues involving China, Gaza, Middle East policy, Africa and Europe, reported Politico on April 2.

Mr Waltz, US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth and others have faced sharp criticism following revelations in March that they used Signal, an encrypted messaging app, to coordinate and share highly sensitive details about a planned military operation targeting the Houthis in Yemen, rather than using secure government communications channels.

Politico cited four unidentified people who were personally added to Signal chats. Two of them said they were in or had direct knowledge of at least 20 chats and all four saw sensitive information being discussed, the outlet reported.

Citing one of the sources, it said Mr Waltz and incoming National Security Council (NSC) staff began using Signal during the presidential transition period and never stopped doing so.

Mr Brian Hughes, spokesman for the White House NSC, dismissed the report, saying Signal is an approved, encrypted messaging app and any claim that NSC officials were sending classified information over these channels was false.

“It can be used for unclassified messaging and a user has the responsibility to preserve any official record created. Some in NSC, like those in the media and many areas across the federal government, use the Signal app,” Mr Hughes said.

The Politico story indicates far more extensive use of Signal by Mr Trump’s national security team than previously reported. It could spell more trouble for Mr Waltz, who has faced criticism both outside and within the administration for the accidental addition of a journalist to the chat about the military strikes in Yemen.

Vice-President J.D. Vance and chief of staff Susie Wiles took a dim view of Mr Waltz’s use of the app for the Yemen strikes and suggested he lose his job, a source briefed on internal deliberations told Reuters.

US National Security Adviser Mike Waltz was said to have begun using Signal during the presidential transition period and never stopped doing so.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Mr Trump also was annoyed with Mr Waltz’s actions, the source said, but thus far has stood by his National Security Adviser. On March 31, the White House said it maintained confidence in Mr Waltz and that it considered the case closed.

Separately, The Washington Post reported on April 1 that Mr Waltz and other NSC members used Gmail for government work. Mr Hughes said Mr Waltz received e-mails and calendar invites from legacy contacts to his personal e-mail but

never used the account

to send classified material.

On March 31, Democrats on the House of Representatives Intelligence Committee sent a letter to national intelligence director Tulsi Gabbard calling for the intelligence community to conduct an independent probe into the Signal leak.

The top Republican and Democrat on the US Senate Armed Services Committee said on March 27 that they had asked the Pentagon to investigate the matter. REUTERS

See more on