Hegseth vows Pentagon is all-in on Trump’s mass deportation push

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was confirmed by the Senate 51–50 late on Jan 24.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was confirmed by the Senate 51–50 late on Jan 24.

PHOTO: EPA-EFE

Google Preferred Source badge

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth arrived at the Pentagon on Jan 27 vowing to support President Donald Trump’s mass deportations, saying military involvement is “something the Defence Department absolutely will continue to do”.

“Whatever is needed at the border will be provided,” Mr Hegseth told reporters gathered for the traditional ceremonial welcome to a new Pentagon chief. “This is a shift. This is not the way business has been done in the past.”

Since Mr Trump’s inauguration on Jan 20, the Pentagon has sent 1,500 troops to the south-west border to help deport migrants and build barriers, and military aircraft are being used for deportation flights.

It reflects a rejection of past concerns about the need and legality of using the military for such purposes inside the US.

Mr Hegseth, a combat veteran and former Fox News commentator, was confirmed by the Senate 51-50 late on Jan 24, with Vice-President J.D. Vance casting the tie-breaking vote.

Democrats and a handful of Republicans had raised questions about his lack of high-level experience and allegations, which he denied, of sexual misconduct, excessive drinking and financial mismanagement. 

Mr Hegseth, the US’ 29th defence secretary, also reaffirmed on Jan 27 that he supports removing diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives in the military and reinstating troops who were forced out because they resisted vaccine mandates during the Covid-19 pandemic. 

The new Defence Secretary was greeted on his arrival by General Charles Q. Brown, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the US’ highest-ranking black officer. Mr Brown is a veteran fighter pilot, but Mr Hegseth previously said he should be fired for supporting diversity efforts.

After the police killing of Mr George Floyd in Minneapolis in 2020, the general released a video in which he spoke about how the nation’s history of racial injustices, and his own experiences, “didn’t always sing of liberty and equality”.

Mr Hegseth said on Jan 27 he looked forward to working with General Brown and other members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

“We’re going to hold people accountable,” Mr Hegseth said. “I know the chairman agrees with that.” BLOOMBERG

See more on