Acting Nasa chief says DOGE reviewing space agency’s spending as hundreds take buyout

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

FILE PHOTO: Director of NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center Janet Petro speaks ahead of the Crew-7 mission launch to the International Space Station on the SpaceX Dragon crew spacecraft, at Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, U.S. August 20, 2023.  REUTERS/Joe Skipper/File Photo

Nasa's acting administrator Janet Petro said that Elon Musk's government efficiency panel planned to examine the space agency's spending.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Follow topic:

WASHINGTON - Nasa's acting administrator Janet Petro said on Feb 12 that Elon Musk's government efficiency panel planned to examine the space agency's spending, and noted hundreds of agency employees had accepted a government buyout proposal.

"We are going to have DOGE come. They're going to look - similarly what they've done in other agencies - at our payments and what money has gone out," Ms Petro, who was previously the head of Nasa's Kennedy Space Centre, told reporters on the sidelines of a space industry conference in Washington.

Asked how many Nasa employees accepted the

Trump administration’s buyout plan,

she said it was “hundreds”.

The Department of Government Efficiency, or DOGE, led by billionaire SpaceX founder and CEO Musk, has roiled the federal bureaucracy in recent weeks by accessing government payment and personnel systems as it seeks to slash federal spending the group deems excessive.

SpaceX has roughly US$15 billion (S$20.3 billion) in contracts with Nasa, primarily for sending astronauts to and from the International Space Station and to land humans on the moon using the company's Starship vehicle.

Asked whether Mr Musk's leadership of DOGE presents conflicts of interest at Nasa, Ms Petro said "we have very strict conflict of interest policies," adding the agency's legal office would vet any DOGE employee for such conflicts.

A small group of Trump administration officials have already begun to examine Nasa's various science and space mission programs that make up the agency's roughly US$24 billion annual budget, while Ms Petro has been tasked with executing Mr Trump's flurry of executive orders aimed at eliminating government diversity programmes.

“All the officials in charge are really trying to wrap our heads around all the executive orders as they’re flying at us,” Ms Petro said.

The future of Nasa's flagship space program to land humans on the moon has been thrown into uncertainty as Mr Musk and Mr Trump openly regale potential missions to Mars.

For DOGE, Nasa's over-budget moon rocket, the Space Launch System, is seen as one potential cost-cutting target, but the rocket's workforce in Republican-majority states is bound to complicate that goal. REUTERS

See more on