Russia removes general in charge of Syrian operations, say military bloggers

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

FILE PHOTO: Rebels led by the Islamist militant group Hayat Tahrir al-Sham drive along a street in al-Rashideen, Aleppo province, Syria November 29, 2024. REUTERS/Mahmoud Hasano/File Photo

Rebels led by the Islamist militant group Hayat Tahrir al-Sham driving along a street in Aleppo province, Syria.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

Russian war bloggers reported on Dec 1 that Moscow has dismissed General Sergei Kisel, the general in charge of its forces in Syria, after insurgents swept into the city of Aleppo in the biggest challenge to President Bashar al-Assad in years.

Russia is a key ally to Mr Assad. The removal of Gen Kisel, 53, was reported by the Rybar Telegram channel, which is close to the Russian Defence Ministry, and by the Voenny Osvedomitel, a military informant blog.

Reuters has requested comment from the Russian Defence Ministry. Since the start of the Ukraine war, Russia has made a number of military reshuffles that were not publicly announced.

Unconfirmed reports said Gen Kisel was being replaced by Colonel-General Alexander Chaiko.

The military blogs were scathing about the performance of Gen Kisel, who previously commanded Russia’s 1st Guards Tank Army in the Kharkiv region of Ukraine, where Moscow’s forces were driven back in a lightning counter-attack by Ukrainian troops in late 2022.

“Apparently he was supposed to reveal his hidden talents in Syria, but something got in the way again,” Voenny Osvedomitel wrote.

Rybar commented: “The approach needs to change. The Syrian sandbox has long been a place for laundering the reputations of unsuccessful generals who turned out to be incompetent in the zone of the special military operation” – Russia’s term for the war in Ukraine.

Rybar speculated that Russia might even turn to General Sergei Surovikin, who earned the nickname “General Armageddon” for his ruthlessness in Syria and was briefly in charge of the Ukrainian war effort.

Gen Surovikin was demoted in 2023, when unconfirmed reports said he had been investigated for possible complicity in a mutiny by Russia’s Wagner mercenary group.

The insurgent advance in Syria was the first since March 2020 when Russia and Turkey, which supports the rebels, agreed to a ceasefire that led to the halting of military action in north-west Syria.

On Dec 1, the Syrian army said it had recaptured several towns that had been overrun by rebels in recent days. The insurgents are a coalition of Turkish-backed mainstream secular armed groups, along with Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, an Islamist group that is the opposition’s most formidable military force.

Aleppo had been held by the government since a 2016 victory there, one of the war’s major turning points, when Russian-backed Syrian forces besieged and laid waste to rebel-held eastern areas of what had been the country’s largest city. REUTERS

See more on