WHO chief 'heartbroken' by visit to quake-hit Syria, says more funds needed
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
Displaced Syrian children living in war-damaged buildings in Syria's rebel-held northern city of Raqa on March 1, 2023.
PHOTO: AFP
Follow topic:
BAB AL-HAWA, Syria – Available funding and new border crossings were still not enough to help quake-hit citizens in Syria’s battered north-west, the head of the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Wednesday, adding that he was “disturbed and heartbroken” by a visit to the rebel-held region.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was speaking to reporters after visiting a hospital in the area, where more than 4,000 people have died as a result of last month’s devastating earthquake.
Following the quake, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad allowed the opening of two more crossings with Turkey, bringing the total to three, to allow aid into the region held by his armed opponents.
However, more access and funding are still needed, said Dr Tedros.
“I don’t think the existing, the three, will be enough. Any available access should be used,” he told reporters in Syria.
He said he did not discuss with the local authorities the possibility of aid coming in across front lines from government-held zones.
Other United Nations agencies and international aid groups have criticised hardline rebels for rejecting such deliveries.
The UN had already struggled to gather funding to address Syria’s worsening humanitarian situation before the earthquake hit, and had secured just half of its 2022 appeal.
It said it would need nearly US$400 million (S$538 million) over three months to respond to those affected by the quake in Syria alone.
The opposition-controlled zone in the north-west is home to some four million people, many of them displaced by conflict in other parts of their homeland.
Hospitals there are in particularly dire conditions, having been hit by air strikes over the years and facing chronic shortages of equipment.
The UN said Syria’s needs are now at its highest since the start of the conflict nearly 12 years ago. REUTERS

