RIYADH (AFP) - One person was killed and four wounded on Monday when a Saudi city near the Yemeni border came under renewed bombardment, the civil defence department said.
The latest fatality brings to 11 the death toll in Saudi Arabia since Shi'ite Houthi rebels in Yemen began firing rockets and mortar rounds over the border last week.
Civil defence spokesman Ali al-Shahrani told Saudi news channel Al-Ekhbariya that a school and a residential area in Najran came under fire at 7:00 am (12:00pm Singapore time).
He did not specify the source of the bombardment but said one person was killed. Three foreigners and a child were wounded.
The Saudi-led coalition which has been bombing the Houthis in Yemen since March 26 said on Thursday that they had crossed a "red line" with their deadly cross-border fire.
The coalition has retaliated by declaring the whole of Saada province - a Houthi stronghold on the border - a military target and pounding it with air strikes and artillery fire.
Coalition spokesman Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri told AFP on Sunday that the retaliatory raids would continue right up to the proposed 11:00 pm (4:00am Wednesday Singapore time) Tuesday start-time for a five-day ceasefire, "if they continue to fire their rockets towards our cities, our population".
Saudi Arabia made the ceasefire offer on Friday after more than six weeks of air strikes but said the rebels would also have to abide by it.