Israeli PM Netanyahu dismisses talk of rift with Trump
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaking during a press conference in Jerusalem on May 21.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Follow topic:
JERUSALEM - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on May 21 dismissed speculation of a falling out with the US administration following a visit to the Gulf by US President Donald Trump that left out Israel.
Mr Trump’s visit to Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates hauled in a series of big-ticket business deals but fuelled widespread media commentary pointing out that Israel – Washington’s closest ally in the region – had not been included.
The visit followed Mr Trump’s decision to end a US bombing campaign against the Houthis in Yemen, even as the Iranian-backed group continued to fire missiles at Israel, and to seek nuclear talks with Iran.
Mr Netanyahu, who had previously made no public comment on the issue, told reporters at a news conference that he had spoken to Mr Trump around 10 days ago and the US leader had told him: “Bibi, I want you to know, I have a complete commitment to you and I have a complete commitment to the state of Israel.”
Amid growing international pressure on Israel, the US President has urged a quick end to the war in Gaza and spoken of the suffering of civilians in the besieged enclave, where an 11-week Israeli aid blockade has created a deep humanitarian crisis.
In a separate conversation a few days ago, Mr Netanyahu said US Vice-President J.D. Vance had told him: “Don’t pay attention to all these fake news stories about this rupture between us.” REUTERS

