Iran’s Parliament Speaker says militant groups will go on confronting Israel

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, a parliamentary candidate, casts his vote at a mosque in downtown Tehran, Iran February 21, 2020. Hamed Malekpour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS/File Photo

Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf also issued a warning to the US.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said on Sept 29 that militant groups would carry on confronting Israel with Tehran’s help following the killing of Hezbollah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, Iranian state media reported.

An alliance known as the Axis of Resistance, built up over decades with Iranian support, includes the Palestinian group Hamas, Hezbollah in Lebanon, Yemen’s Houthis and various Shi’ite Muslim armed groups in Iraq and Syria.

Israel said it killed Nasrallah in an air strike on Hezbollah’s headquarters in Beirut’s southern suburbs on Sept 27. Hezbollah confirmed he had been killed, without saying how.

Mr Qalibaf said: “We will not hesitate to go to any level in order to help the resistance.”

He also issued a warning to the US. “The US is complicit in all of these crimes and... has to accept the repercussions,” he said.

Also commenting on Nasrallah’s killing, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said Israel “will not rest” and the action would not go unanswered, state media reported on Sept 29. He said the region was in a dangerous situation.

Iran Revolutionary Guards’ deputy commander Abbas Nilforoushan was also killed in the Israeli strikes on Beirut on Sept 27, Iranian media reported on Sept 28. REUTERS

See more on