Iran does not want conflict with Israel to expand but will defend itself, foreign minister says
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran had been responding to foreign aggression.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Follow topic:
DUBAI – Iran does not want its conflict with Israel to expand to neighbouring countries unless the situation is forced, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on June 15, adding its response had been based on self-defence.
He noted that Tehran had been reacting to foreign aggression, and that if the latter stopped, Iranian responses would also cease.
Mr Araghchi said the Israeli strikes on the offshore South Pars gas field that Iran shares with Qatar are “a blatant aggression and a very dangerous act”.
“Dragging the conflict to the Persian Gulf is a strategic mistake, and its aim is to drag the war beyond Iranian territory,” he added.
He accused Israel of seeking to sabotage ongoing Iran-US nuclear talks, which according to him could have opened the way for an agreement. Tehran was set to present a proposal on June 15 during a sixth round of talks, which were cancelled following recent escalations
“Israel’s attack would never have happened without the US green light and support,” Mr Araghchi said, adding Tehran does not believe American statements that Washington had taken no part in recent attacks.
“It is necessary for the United States to condemn Israeli strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities if they want to prove their goodwill.” REUTERS

