Gaza civil defence says Israeli attacks kill 26 near two aid centres
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
Children queueing with pots to receive meals from a charity kitchen in Gaza City on July 14.
PHOTO: AFP
Follow topic:
GAZA CITY, Palestinian Territories - Gaza’s civil defence agency on July 19 said Israeli gunfire killed 26 people and wounded more than 100 near two aid centres, in the latest deaths of Palestinians seeking food.
Deaths of people waiting for handouts in huge crowds near food points in Gaza have become a regular occurrence, with the territory’s authorities frequently blaming Israeli fire.
But the US- and Israel-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF
The Israeli military said it was “looking into” the latest reports when contacted by AFP.
Civil defence agency spokesman Mahmud Bassal said the deaths happened near a site southwest of Khan Younis and another centre north-west of Rafah, both in the south, attributing the deaths to “Israeli gunfire”.
One eyewitness said he was heading to the Al-Tina area of Khan Younis before dawn with five of his relatives to try to get food when Israeli soldiers started shooting.
“My relatives and I were unable to get anything,” Mr Abdul Aziz Abed, 37, told AFP.
“Every day I go there and all we get is bullets and exhaustion instead of food
Three other eyewitnesses also accused troops of opening fire.
“They started shooting at us and we lay down on the ground. Tanks and jeeps came, soldiers got out of them and started shooting,” said Mr Tamer Abu Akar, 24.
Nine people were killed in gunfire at the same centre in the Al-Shakoush area north-west of Rafah on July 18, the civil defence agency said.
Media restrictions in Gaza and difficulties in accessing many areas mean AFP is unable to independently verify tolls and details provided by the agency and other parties.
‘Agitators’
The war in Gaza, sparked by militant group Hamas’ deadly attack on Israel on Oct 7, 2023, has created dire humanitarian conditions for the more than two million people who live in the coastal territory.
Most people have been displaced at least once by the fighting, and doctors and aid agencies say the physical and mental health effects of 21 months of conflict are being increasingly seen.
“We are receiving cases suffering from extreme exhaustion and complete fatigue, in addition to severe emaciation and acute malnutrition due to prolonged lack of food,” the director of the Kuwaiti Field Hospital in Khan Younis, Mr Sohaib Al-Hums, said on July 18.
“Hundreds” of people were facing “imminent death”, he added.
The World Food Programme said nearly one in three people in Gaza were not eating for days at a stretch and “thousands” were “on the verge of catastrophic hunger”.
The free flow of aid into Gaza is a key demand of Hamas in indirect talks with Israel for a 60-day ceasefire in the war, alongside a full Israeli military withdrawal.
Following a more than two-month total Israeli blockade, GHF took over the running of aid distribution in late May.
This came despite criticism from the United Nations, which previously coordinated handouts, that GHF was designed to cater to Israeli military objectives.
GHF said 20 people died at its Khan Younis site on July 16 but blamed “agitators in the crowd... armed and affiliated with Hamas” for creating “a chaotic and dangerous surge” and firing at aid seekers.
The previous day, the UN said it had recorded 875 people killed in Gaza while trying to get food, including 674 “in the vicinity of GHF sites”, since it began operating.
Hamas’ 2023 attack on Israel led to the deaths of 1,219 people, most of them civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.
Of the 251 people taken hostage that day, 49 are still in Gaza, including the 27 the Israeli military says are dead.
Israel’s retaliatory military action has killed 58,667 people, most of them civilians, according to the Health Ministry in Hamas-run Gaza. AFP

