At least 27 Palestinians killed near Gaza aid site; UN demands investigation

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Women react following the death of Palestinians, in what the Gaza health ministry say was Israeli fire near a distribution site in Rafah, at Nasser hospital in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, June 3, 2025. REUTERS/Hatem Khaled     TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

Palestinians grieving after what the Gaza health ministry says was Israeli fire near a distribution site in the southern Gaza Strip on June 3.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Follow topic:

At least 27 Palestinians were killed and dozens wounded by Israeli fire near a food distribution site in the southern Gaza Strip on June 3, the local health authorities said, in the latest bout of chaos and bloodshed to plague the aid operation.

The Israeli military said its forces opened fire on a group of people who had left designated access routes near the distribution centre in Rafah and approached their positions.

It added that it was still investigating what happened.

The deaths came hours after Israel said

three of its soldiers had been killed in fighting

in the northern Gaza Strip, as its forces pushed ahead with a months-long offensive against Hamas militants that has laid waste to much of the enclave.

Reuters could not independently verify the reports in northern and southern Gaza.

A spokesperson for the International Committee of the Red Cross said its field hospital in Rafah received 184 casualties, adding that 19 of those were declared dead upon arrival, and eight died of their wounds shortly after.

Video shows injured people, including at least one woman, being rushed to a medical centre on carts drawn by donkeys, before being transferred onto stretchers or into ambulances.

The UN human rights office in Geneva said on June 3 that the impediment of access to food relief for civilians in Gaza might constitute a war crime and described attacks on people trying to access food aid as “unconscionable”.

The head of the UN agency, Mr Volker Turk, urged a prompt and impartial investigation into the killings.

“Attacks directed against civilians constitute a grave breach of international law, and a war crime,” he said in a statement.

The US-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation launched its first distribution sites last week in an effort to alleviate widespread hunger among Gaza’s war-battered population, most of whom have had to abandon their homes to flee fighting. 

The foundation’s aid plan, which bypasses traditional aid groups, has come under fierce criticism from the UN and established charities, which say it does not follow humanitarian principles.

The private group, which is endorsed by Israel, said it had distributed 21 truckloads of food early on June 3 and stressed that the reported violence had not happened within its site.

“This was an area well beyond our secure distribution site and control. We recognise the difficult nature of the situation and advise all civilians to remain in the safe corridor when travelling to our distribution sites.”

Palestinians who collected food boxes on June 3 described scenes of pandemonium, with no one overseeing the handover of supplies or checking IDs as the crowds jostled for provisions.

“It is complete chaos and humiliation, and people have no choice but to keep coming because there is no food in Gaza,” said one Palestinian who declined to be named, adding that he was lucky to have survived the shootings outside the aid centre.

Mass evacuations

There have been reports of repeated killings over the past three days near Rafah as crowds gathered before dawn. On June 1, Palestinian and international officials reported that at least 31 people were killed and dozens more injured. On June 2, three more Palestinians were reportedly killed by Israeli fire.

The Israeli military has denied targeting civilians gathering for aid and called reports of deaths during June 1’s distribution “fabrications” by Hamas.

On June 3, it said the Israel Defence Forces had identified “a number of suspects” moving towards them while deviating from the access routes.

“The forces fired evasive shots, and after they did not move away, additional shots were fired near the individual suspects who were advancing towards the forces,” it said.

The Israeli military issued new evacuation orders to residents of several districts in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip late on June 2, warning that the army would act forcefully against militants operating in those areas.

The military told residents to head west towards the Mawasi humanitarian area. Palestinian and UN officials say there are no safe areas in the enclave, and that most of its 2.3 million population have become internally displaced.

The territory’s Health Ministry said on June 3 that the new evacuation orders could halt work at Nasser Hospital, the largest, still-functioning medical facility in the south, endangering the lives of those being treated there.

Israel launched its military campaign in Gaza following the

Oct 7, 2023 assault

in which Hamas-led gunmen killed 1,200 people and took 251 hostages, by Israeli tallies. 

In the subsequent fighting, more than 54,000 Palestinians have been killed, the local health authorities say. REUTERS

See more on