Britain’s Princess Catherine wraps up Italy visit with pasta class

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Britain's Kate, Princess of Wales, helps prepare lunch at rural Agriturismo 'Al Vigneto' as she concludes a two-day visit to the region, in Felino, in the province of Parma, Italy, May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Phil Noble/Pool

Britain's Catherine, Princess of Wales, preparing “tortelli” - similar to ravioli - with the help of chef Ivan Lampredi on May 14.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge
  • Princess Catherine made her first overseas visit to Italy since her 2024 cancer diagnosis, signifying her gradual return to duties.
  • Her trip to Reggio Emilia focused on early years education, including visiting a preschool and a recycling centre.
  • She participated in a pasta-making class, learning to prepare "tortelli" and expressing initial slowness.

AI generated

REGGIO EMILIA, Italy - Britain’s Princess Catherine wrapped up a trip to Italy on May 14 with a pasta-making class on her first official overseas visit since her 2024 cancer diagnosis.

Catherine prepared “tortelli” - a regional speciality similar to ravioli - at a farmhouse hotel near the city of Reggio Emilia.

Looking a bit unsure of herself, the Princess of Wales kneaded the dough, applied a filling and cut out the pasta shapes as Mr Ivan Lampredi, a chef, assisted her.

“Sorry, I’m very slow,” she could be heard saying at one point.

“Don’t worry,” Mr Lampredi later told her as she cut the pasta.

Earlier in the day, she visited an Italian preschool practising nature-based learning and a centre to teach children about recycling.

The visit by the Princess of Wales, whose husband Prince William is the heir to the British throne, was focused on early years education.

The subject is close to the princess’ heart as a mother of three children - George, 12, Charlotte, 11, and Louis, eight.

Kate, as she is widely known, was greeted by hundreds of cheering onlookers in Reggio Emilia at the start of her visit on May 13.

The 44-year-old’s last official trip abroad was in December 2022 when she travelled to Boston with William for the awarding of the environmental Earthshot prize.

She announced in March 2024 that she had been diagnosed with cancer, without revealing which type, and said that she had begun chemotherapy.

In January 2025 she said she was in remission from cancer, and since then she has been gradually returning to public royal duties.

She set up the Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood in 2021, working to highlight the importance of a child’s early years. AFP

See more on