Russian drone attacks kill three in north-east Ukraine, including a 5-year-old boy

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

A rescuer works at a site following a Russian drone attack at a location given as Sumy region, Ukraine, in this handout image released on June 24, 2025. State Emergency Service Of Ukraine/Handout via REUTERS  THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. MANDATORY CREDIT. DO NOT OBSCURE LOGO.

A rescuer working at a site of a Russian drone attack in Ukraine's Sumy region on June 24.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Follow topic:
  • Russian drone attacks in Sumy killed three, including a child, and injured six others, destroying homes.
  • Overnight drone attacks wounded two in Moscow, prompting evacuations. Russia claims to have shot down two additional drones.
  • Zelensky met Starmer in London before attending a Nato summit, as Kyiv accuses Moscow of sabotaging peace.

AI generated

KYIV - Russian drone attacks killed three people near the north-eastern city of Sumy, including a five-year-old child, the local authorities said on June 24.

It came a day after Ukraine said Russia carried out dozens of drone and missile strikes on its territory,

killing 10 people in the capital Kyiv.

Diplomatic efforts to end the three-year war have stalled, with the last direct meeting between Kyiv and Moscow almost three weeks ago and no follow-up talks scheduled.

“As a result of the enemy attack, a five-year-old boy, a 52-year-old man, and an 84-year-old woman died,” the regional prosecutor’s office in Sumy said.

“Six more people, including two 17-year-old girls and a 12-year-old boy, were injured,” it said, adding: “Seven residential buildings were destroyed, 22 houses and six vehicles were damaged.”

Mr Oleg Grygorov, head of the Sumy region’s military administration, said the boy’s body was pulled from the rubble of a destroyed house. He had earlier been identified as being eight years old.

“The strike took the lives of people from different families. They all lived on the same street. They went to sleep in their homes but the Russian drones interrupted their sleep – forever.”

Russian drone strikes also left five people wounded in Kharkiv, as well as four others in the Dnipropetrovsk region, authorities said on Telegram.

Russia claimed a drone had targeted a residential building in Moscow overnight, wounding two people, including a pregnant woman.

“About 100 people were evacuated from the building, including 30 children,” according to the region’s governor, Mr Andrei Vorobyov, who added that two more drones were shot down.

Russia had fired dozens of drones and missiles at Ukraine a day earlier, ripping open a housing block in Kyiv, killing 10 civilians and burying others beneath the rubble.

Separate Russian attacks on June 23 in the southern Odesa region left two people dead, and another dozen wounded, the local authorities said.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said a school was hit.

“Sadly, some people may still be trapped under the rubble,” he added.

Mr Zelensky met British Prime Minister Keir Starmer during a surprise visit to London on June 23.

Mr Zelensky is due to attend a two-day Nato summit in The Hague starting on June 24.

Russia occupies around a fifth of Ukraine and claims to have annexed four Ukrainian regions as its own since launching its invasion in 2022 – in addition to Crimea, which it captured in 2014.

Kyiv has accused Moscow of deliberately sabotaging a peace deal in order to prolong its full-scale offensive and to seize more territory. AFP

See more on