LONDON (AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE) - The terror attack in London on Wednesday (March 22), which has left at least five people including the assailant dead, is the latest in a string of deadly assaults in Britain in recent years.
Here are the major incidents since the end of regular attacks by Irish republicans in 2001:
- 2005: London transport attacked - On July 7, 2005 four British suicide bombers inspired by Al-Qaeda attack London's transport system during rush hour, killing 52 people on three underground trains and a bus, as well as themselves. Some 700 people are injured. Two weeks later an failed attempt is made to carry out a second wave of attacks.
- 2007: Car attacks fail - On June 29, 2007 two Mercedes cars filled with fuel, gas canisters and nails are found outside a nightclub near Piccadilly Circus, London.
A day later a flaming car slams into the main terminal of Glasgow Airport in Scotland. Police say the two incidents are linked.
An Indian driving the car suffers serious burns after dousing himself with petrol, and dies a month later. The passenger, Iraqi doctor Bilal Abdulla, is jailed in December 2008 for at least 32 years for plotting to murder hundreds of people.
- 2013: British soldier slain - On May 22, 2013, British soldier Lee Rigby, 25, is hacked to death by two Britons of Nigerian descent near an army barracks in southeast London.
Witnesses say the attackers encouraged them to film the scene as they shouted "Allah Akbar" ("God is greatest") before being injured and arrested by police.
In February 2014, Michael Adebolajo is sentenced to life in prison for the murder while Michael Adebowale receives a minimum of 45 years behind bars.
- 2015: London underground stabbing - On December 5, 2015, a knifeman stabs two people, including one seriously, at London's Leytonstone Underground station, two days after Britain's first air strikes on the jihadist Islamic State in Syria. The knifeman, Somali-born Muhaydin Mire, a paranoid schizophrenic, is in August 2016 sentenced to life behind bars.
The police describe the incident as "terrorist".
- Attacks 'foiled' - Meanwhile, British police said in early March this year that security forces had foiled 13 potential terrorist plots since June 2013.
Britain's terrorist alert level has been set at the fourth of a scale of five since August 2014.