LONDON – Love them, hate them or just don’t rate them. Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Netflix documentary split public opinion after its launch on Thursday.
Mr Nick Bullen, editor-in-chief of True Royalty TV, said it was the most “self-serving piece of television” he had seen in quite a while, describing it as more like a reality show than a documentary, after the first three episodes aired.
Mr Lester Holloway, editor of The Voice, was moved by the documentary, describing it as a “love story” which talked about the struggles and challenges Prince Harry and Markle have faced as a couple and their battles with the media.
In the documentary, Prince Harry said the British royal family had dismissed race-related hounding of Markle by the media as a rite of passage and the couple delivered a fierce attack on the tabloid press.
British newspapers hit back after the episodes dropped, even though they had already been on the offensive before.
“Netfibs”, declared The Sun on its website, pointing out supposed inconsistencies in their story.
The Times of London said, referring to Prince William – Prince Harry’s older brother – and his wife Kate Middleton: “William and Kate can breathe easy – for now, it’s all the media’s fault.”
Meanwhile, The Daily Express said the royal family was breathing a “huge sigh of relief as Harry and Meghan’s Netflix show backfires” and The Daily Mail cited critics who accused the couple of wanting to “bring down the monarchy” and describing the tell-all as an “assault on the Queen’s legacy”.
The Guardian’s TV critic Lucy Mangan wrote that the series was “so sickening, I almost brought up my breakfast”. The headline on the front read: “Renewed frenzy, but the story remains the same.”
Commuters in London also shared their views on the couple.
Finance manager Nadia Tunar said she thought they “just want attention”, while others, including salon manager Sarah Barnsbury, said they were not going to watch it. “It’s just not for me,” Ms Barnsbury said.
Finance worker Sarah M’chinda said she would be tuning in. “I believe that what they’re saying is true, but we can’t really tell because we don’t really know, it’s their life,” said the 47-year-old.
Ms Sharon Brown, a 52-year-old security officer, said it was about time the royals “actually got a voice to say what they need to say”.
“Get it across to the people that think everything is – what’s the word I’m looking for – everything is cool and dandy, and it’s not. So, good for them,” Ms Brown said.
Customer support assistant Carmel Williams, 33, said she would like to know what has been happening and how they are feeling, calling it “gossip behind the scenes”.
Mr Paul Driscoll, 52, head of IT for a private equity business, said: “I’ll probably watch it because we all watch them, right?”
He added: “They’re welcome to do whatever they want to do, but I’m not really sure it’s the right time for them to do it.” REUTERS