Blaze at London's Camden Market under control

London firefighters battle a blaze in London's Camden Market, later saying they'd brought it under control.
The first, second and third floors and the roof of Camden Market were on fire on July 10, 2017.
The first, second and third floors and the roof of Camden Market were on fire on July 10, 2017.PHOTO: TWITTER / LONDONFIRE

LONDON – Firefighters battled a large blaze for hours in London’s famous Camden Lock Market that broke out in the early hours of the morning.

The first, second and third floors and the roof of a building in the sprawling market were on fire, said the London Fire Brigade, which brought it under control at around 3.20am local time (10.20am Singapore time).

More than 70 firefighters and 10 fire engines were despatched. A London Ambulance Service spokesman said it was not treating anyone at the scene.

“We sent a clinical team leader and our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) to the scene. We have not treated any patients, and we remain at the scene,” she said.

Pictures and videos posted on social media showed a big fire in the heart of the market, near the iconic green railway bridge over Chalk Farm Road.

The Metropolitan police said: “Police were called on Monday at 12.10am to Camden Lock Market to reports of a fire. London Fire Brigade were already at the scene when officers arrived. It is unknown at this stage if any persons are injured, we await update.”

Drama student Billy Dunmore, 22, told The Guardian: “I was walking past the market with friends when I saw the smoke coming out up the road. We saw flames coming out the window above Honest Burger, but through a reflection we could see lots of flames in the market.”

He said the area appeared to be deserted.

The market in north London is one of the capital city’s most famous tourist draws and has hundreds of stalls selling clothes, knick-knacks, arts and crafts and a diverse selection of food. It typically draws around 250,000 people a week, mostly on the weekends.

In 2008, a fire broke out in a clothing stall, caused by unauthorised use of a liquified petroleum gas heater.