British man hit by bus, calmly gets up and walks into pub afterwards

Mr Simon Smith was hit by a bus in the UK, but calmly got up and walked into a nearby pub immediately afterwardsVIDEO: YOUTUBE / REBECCA VALENCIA

"Keep calm and carry on" - the spirit of this famous British slogan was embodied by 53-year-old Simon Smith when he was struck in the back by an out-of-control bus in the town of Reading on Saturday (June 24), British media reported.

Video footage shows Mr Smith crossing the road when a double-decker bus suddenly mounts the curb behind him.

In the video, Mr Smith turns around at the commotion, but is unable to get out of the way and the bus smashes into him, sending him flying and leaving a huge crack on its windscreen.

The impact of the crash is so great that Mr Smith is flung a distance away on the pavement as the bus continues to smash into a shopfront, sending debris flying everywhere, Daily Mail reported.

Video footage of the moment shows a plank from the damaged shopfront falling on Mr Smith as well.

However, even as concerned bystanders rush over from the other side of the road, Mr Smith wastes no time in getting to his feet and calmly walking into a nearby pub.

The co-owner of the pub, Mr Daniel Fraifield, told BBC South Today: "I think (Mr Smith) pretty much got up, brushed himself down and then an ambulance came and took him to be checked."

Mr Fraifield added: "(Mr Smith) got looked over and didn't have any lasting injuries - but he's covered in scrapes and bruises. He then got released from the hospital and I think he just went for a pint to relax."

Mr Smith, who suffered minor injuries, told reporters from BBC South Today that he felt he was "lucky to be alive".

A spokesman for Reading Buses, the company that owned the bus which struck Mr Smith, said that they were "shocked by the incident".

He said: "We can assure the public that all our drivers are incredibly professional and trained to the highest standard. Our buses receive regular checks by our award-winning engineering department... we send our regrets to those affected, especially the pedestrian injured."

A police spokesman said that though the road as closed for about two hours following the incident, no arrests had been made.