Canadians welcome King Charles after Trump takeover threats

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Britain's King Charles III raises a shovel after a ceremonial tree planting at the official residence of the Governor General of Canada in Ottawa, Canada.

Britain’s King Charles III raising a shovel after a ceremonial tree planting at the official residence of the Governor General of Canada in Ottawa, Canada, on May 26.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Follow topic:

- King Charles III was given an enthusiastic welcome on May 26 by Canadians who turned out in droves to see their monarch on his historic visit to open Parliament, as part of pushback against US President Donald Trump’s annexation threats.

The 76-year-old king, who is Canada’s head of state as part of the Commonwealth, was greeted at the airport by Prime Minister Mark Carney, who invited him to give an address opening Canada’s new legislature on May 27.

“This historic honour matches the weight of our times,” Mr Carney said.

Queen Camilla is accompanying King Charles on the 24-hour visit to Ottawa.

On their first stop in the Canadian capital, the royals visited a farmer’s market, where they were cheered by thousands of Canadians. The king also dropped the puck for a street hockey game.

The so-called throne speech outlining the government’s priorities is typically given by the British monarch’s representative in Canada, the governor general.

Queen Elizabeth II, the king’s late mother, delivered a throne speech in Canada just twice during her long reign, in 1957 and 1977.

King Charles, making his first visit to Canada since his coronation, has never commented on Mr Trump’s repeated talk of

making Canada the 51st US state

.

But he will be closely watched for any comments on Canada’s sovereignty, and on trade.

Mr Trump has imposed tariffs on Canadian goods, including sector-specific levies on cars, steel and aluminium, rattling the Canadian economy, although he has suspended some of them pending negotiations.

Britain’s King Charles III and Queen Camilla meeting vendors from the Ottawa Farmer’s Market in Lansdowne Park in Ottawa, Canada.

PHOTO: AFP

‘Momentous occasion’

Mr Carney has said his newly elected government has been given a mandate “to define a new economic and security relationship with the United States”, a neighbour he believes Canada “can no longer trust”.

He has promised to curb reliance on trade with the US by boosting internal commerce while forging deeper economic ties with allies overseas.

The government’s path to build up Canada and create new relationships will be outlined in King Charles’s speech, Mr Carney said on May 26.

A government statement described the visit as “a momentous and historic occasion that underscores Canada’s identity and sovereignty as a constitutional monarchy”.

Mr Trump repeatedly returned to his annexation musings during Mr Carney’s Oval Office visit earlier in May, insisting it would be a “wonderful marriage”.

Mr Carney stood his ground, saying

Canada was “never for sale

”.

Mr Trump’s envoy to Canada, Ambassador Pete Hoekstra, dismissed the notion that inviting King Charles to open Parliament was an effective way to make a statement on annexation. According to him, the annexation issue is “over”.

But, among the throngs that showed up to welcome the royals, Mr Robert Brown, 64, said: “I think it’s a very subtle form of diplomacy. A good one.”

Britain’s King Charles standing between Canadian ice hockey player Chris Phillips and Canadian soccer player Desiree Scott, at Lansdowne Park in Ottawa.

PHOTO: REUTERS

‘Once in a lifetime’

After King Charles and Queen Camilla landed in Ottawa in the afternoon, they were received by Governor General Mary Simon and other dignitaries before meeting community organisations.

They also planted a tree at the governor general’s estate, and King Charles held audiences with Mr Carney and indigenous leaders.

At the Senate on May 27, the monarch will receive full military honours before delivering the throne speech.

Mr Noah Marshall told AFP he couldn’t miss this “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to come see the royals”.

The 24-year-old also noted that because Mr Trump seems to respect the King, “that’s a good kind of signal to him”.

Ms Gaelle Hortop, 46, said she is “optimistic that it’ll be positive for Canadian morale” too. AFP

See more on