No accord on plastic pollution deal, more time needed

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Maccarese beach, Italy, November 21, 2018. REUTERS/Max Rossi

Plastic production is on track to triple by 2050.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Follow topic:

- Negotiators have failed to reach an agreement on a landmark treaty to curb plastic pollution, the diplomat chairing the talks said on Dec 1, calling for additional time to continue discussions.

Nearly 200 nations are in South Korea’s Busan for negotiations that are supposed to result in a landmark accord after two years of discussions.

But a week of talks has failed to resolve deep divisions between “high-ambition” countries seeking a globally binding agreement to limit production and phase out harmful chemicals, and “like-minded” nations who want to focus on waste.

A draft text released on the afternoon of Dec 1 after multiple delays included a wide range of options, making clear the ongoing level of disagreement.

When an open plenary session finally convened late on Dec 1, Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee (INC) chair Luis Vayas Valdivieso said progress had been made.

But he acknowledged “we must also recognise that a few critical issues still prevent us from reaching a comprehensive agreement”.

“These unresolved issues remain challenging and additional time will be needed to address them effectively,” he said. “There is a general agreement to resume the current session at a later date to conclude our negotiations.”

‘Obstruction’

His comments reflected earlier calls from delegates for a follow-up to the so-called INC-5 talks in Busan given the ongoing divisions.

German delegate Sebastian Unger told AFP he was “disappointed about the lack of progress”.

The “text should be preserved to continue negotiations and bring (the) process forward at (a) future meeting”.

The prospect of an “INC-5.2” meeting to follow the INC-5 talks was also raised by Senegal’s Mr Cheikh Sylla.

“If you ask me... we stop, we adapt the paper as it is and we try to do another session,” he said.

That would offer time “to bring the positions closer together, and, at this session 5.2, we can reach an agreement that is balanced”.

Earlier, delegations seeking an ambitious treaty warned that a handful of countries were steadfastly blocking progress.

A French minister accused the like-minded group of “continuing obstruction”, while Rwandan delegate Juliet Kabera said a “small number” of countries “remain unsupportive of the measures necessary to drive real change”.

“Rwanda cannot accept a toothless treaty,” she said.

While countries have declined to directly name those preventing a deal, public statements and submissions have shown mostly oil-producing nations, including Saudi Arabia and Russia, have sought to block production cuts and other ambitious goals.

Portuguese delegate Maria Joao Teixeira said earlier on Dec 1 that another round of talks might be the best option for a meaningful deal.

“We are really trying to not have a weak treaty,” she told AFP.

But environmental groups had pushed ambitious countries to call a vote if progress stalled, and said another round of negotiations was unnecessary.

“We know what we need to do to end plastic pollution... simply adding more meetings is not the solution,” said Mr Eirik Lindebjerg, global plastics policy lead at WWF.

‘Step up or get out’

Over 100 countries support setting a target for production cuts, and dozens also back phasing out some chemicals and unnecessary plastic products.

Left unclear is the position of the world’s top two plastic producers, China and the US. Both were notably absent from the stage at a Dec 1 press conference by countries urging a strong treaty.

“They are still considering and we are hopeful that there will be some interest on their part,” said Mexico’s head of delegation Camila Zepeda. “This coalition of the willing is an open invitation. And so it’s not like it’s them against us.”

Panama’s Mr Juan Carlos Monterrey Gomez meanwhile told colleagues that “history will not forgive us” for leaving Busan without an ambitious treaty.

“This is the time to step up or get out.” AFP

See more on