ST Sports Talk Ep 128: A microscope over the business of the breakaway European Super League
Synopsis: ST Sports Talk is The Straits Times' weekly sports podcast.
In this episode, sports correspondent Sazali Abdul Aziz chats with James Walton, who is sports business group leader at Deloitte South East Asia, about the financial reasons behind the audacious bid for a breakaway European Super League (ESL).
Sazali and Walton also discuss whether these clubs’ fans are partly to blame for fuelling their owners’ greed, how the ESL could change the future of broadcast deals and media consumption trends, whether other sports could follow suit, and whether Walton thinks the ESL will take off at all, given all the criticism.
1. The three reasons behind the mooted breakaway (1:33)
2. How much do teams participating stand to gain? (6:13)
3. Should clubs be more sustainably-run? (13:26)
4. The future of the landscape of broadcast deals (17:20)
5. Whether other sports could see breakaway competitions too (23:01)
6. A clear answer within two weeks (27:01)
Produced by: Sazali Abdul Aziz (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Penelope Lee
Edited by: Penelope Lee
Subscribe to the ST Sports Talk podcast series and rate us on your favourite audio apps:
Apple Podcasts: https://str.sg/JWRa
Google Podcasts: https://str.sg/JX88
Feedback to: email@example.com
Follow Sazali Abdul Aziz on Twitter: https://str.sg/JbxS
Read his stories: https://str.sg/Jbxq