Max Verstappen says F1 rule changes boost chances of staying in sport

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

Red Bull's Max Verstappen stopped short of an outright guarantee he would be on the grid in 2027, but his tone was notably more optimistic than in previous weeks.

Red Bull's Max Verstappen stopped short of an outright guarantee he would be on the grid in 2027, but his tone was notably more optimistic than in previous weeks.

PHOTO: AFP

Google Preferred Source badge

MONTREAL – Four-time world champion Max Verstappen said on May 21 that agreed changes to Formula One's engine regulations for 2027 have boosted the likelihood of him continuing in the sport, after months of uncertainty over his future.

The 28-year-old Dutchman, who earlier this season cast doubt on his long-term commitment to the championship, said a planned shift away from the unpopular 50-50 split between combustion and electrical power pointed Formula One in the right direction.

"I just want a good product in Formula One, and that will for sure improve the product," the Red Bull driver told reporters ahead of this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix.

He stopped short of an outright guarantee that he would be on the grid in 2027, but his tone was notably more optimistic than in previous weeks.

"I always wanted to continue anyway, but I always wanted to see change,” he said. “And I think the change that's coming now is definitely very, very positive – or at least, almost back to normal."

Formula One, the FIA and engine manufacturers have agreed in principle to move to a 60-40 split in favour of the internal combustion engine by increasing fuel flow and reducing electrical power by the same amount.

However, the change brings significant engineering challenges, as it impacts engine design and fuel-tank size, and has yet to be formally ratified.

"We have to wait and see – if it's fully confirmed, that definitely needs to happen," added Verstappen.

He also pointed to constructive talks with Formula One and the FIA earlier in 2026 as a positive sign.

"It's just great that they're open-minded and they listen to the drivers, because I think we speak in the interest of the sport and we just want to make it a better product,” he said.

While things are looking positive for Verstappen, there is always a chance that he will leave Formula One.

Autosport reported that should that happen, Red Bull would pursue Oscar Piastri even though the Australian has a long-term contract with McLaren.

That a team would have interest in Piastri, who is in his fourth F1 season, came as no surprise to McLaren CEO Zak Brown.

“I would imagine there’s not a team on the grid that wouldn’t want to have Oscar and Lando (Norris) driving for them,” Brown told The Athletic in a recent interview.

“My general view, contracts aside, (is) our job is to create an environment where our drivers don’t want to drive anywhere else, or for that matter, our employees or our sponsors don’t want to sponsor another team.

“I think there’s a lot of talent inside McLaren that other racing teams would like to have.”

Since debuting in F1 with McLaren in 2023, Piastri has won nine grands prix as a key piece of the team’s success. The Australian native did not make the start in the first two races of the season, but finished second in the Japanese Grand Prix after leading the opening stages. REUTERS, AFP

See more on