Charles Leclerc rows back from ‘harsh’ criticism of Kimi Antonelli’s driving in Miami

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

Ferrari's Charles Leclerc in the garage ahead of the sprint race.

Ferrari's Charles Leclerc was critical of Mercedes' Kimi Antonelli during the Miami Grand Prix sprint race on May 2.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc said he had been harsh on Formula One leader Kimi Antonelli, after angrily criticising the Italian teenager in the heat of the Miami Grand Prix sprint race on May 2.

Antonelli finished fourth for Mercedes but collected a five-second penalty and was demoted to sixth for repeatedly exceeding track limits. McLaren’s Lando Norris won the sprint race with teammate Oscar Piastri second.

“Kimi is so bad on wheel-to-wheel (racing). He moved under braking. It’s unbelievable. We are going to crash,” Leclerc, who finished third, exclaimed over the radio at one point.

Speaking later, the Monegasque toned down his comments.

“I was being a bit harsh maybe with the adrenaline inside the car,” he said.

“It's true that we’ve had our moments with Kimi in the past and I hope this calms down a little bit going ahead. Especially as he’s the only Italian on the grid against Ferrari.

“I wish it was with someone else. I really like Kimi as a person,” added Leclerc. “It’s just sometimes a little bit too close for comfort and not really needed as well.”

Antonelli is the youngest championship leader in Formula One history and also the first Italian to win two races in a row since Alberto Ascari in 1953.

He made a poor start in the sprint race, dropping from second to fourth, and struggled with low grip. But Antonelli later earned his third consecutive pole by edging out Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and Leclerc.

Norris will start fourth for McLaren, followed by Antonelli’s teammate George Russell.

With the May 3 forecast calling for heavy thunderstorms and rain, Formula One moved the start of the race up three hours from 4pm local time to 1pm, following discussions with the FIA. The race ended after press time.

“This decision has been taken to ensure the least amount of disruption to the race, and to ensure the maximum possible window to complete the grand prix in the best conditions and to prioritise the safety of drivers, fans, teams and staff,” read a statement by the FIA, Formula One and the Miami Grand Prix.

Meanwhile, F1 will switch from its current V6 hybrid engines to louder and simpler V8s by 2031, and possibly even 2030, according to FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem.

“It’s coming. At the end of the day, it’s a matter of time,” said the Emirati, speaking in his office overlooking the track at the Hard Rock Stadium.

“In 2031, the V8, the FIA will have the power to do it, without any votes from the PUMs (Power Unit Manufacturers). That’s the regulations. But we want to bring it one year earlier, which everyone now is asking for.” REUTERS

See more on