Trent Alexander-Arnold doesn’t deserve Liverpool fans’ boos, Mohamed Salah says

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Soccer Football - Premier League - Liverpool v Arsenal - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - May 11, 2025 Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold during the match REUTERS/Phil Noble/File Photo

Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold during the 2-2 home draw with Arsenal in the English Premier League at Anfield on May 11.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Follow topic:

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah said Trent Alexander-Arnold, who is set to leave after 20 years at the club since age six, does not deserve to be booed by fans as he was during the 2-2 home draw with Arsenal in the English Premier League on May 11.

Salah, who leads the league with 28 goals for champions Liverpool this season, said the Englishman deserves a fitting farewell after all he has done for his boyhood club.

“I think somehow the fans were being harsh with him... he deserved the fans to treat him the best way possible because he gave it all to the fans,” the Egyptian told Sky Sports in an interview published on May 16, ahead of their league clash with Brighton & Hove Albion on May 19.

“I was surprised because this is not how we act as Liverpool fans... Imagine someone who gives you his all for 20 years. It shouldn’t be like this. I hope that’ll change next game, against Brighton or in the last game of the season, because he deserves the farewell.”

Born in Liverpool, Alexander-Arnold rose through the youth ranks to become one of the best right-backs in the world, winning two Premier League titles, the Champions League and the Club World Cup with the English team.

“This club has been my whole life – my whole world – for 20 years,” the 26-year-old said in a statement earlier in May.

Egypt international Salah said Alexander-Arnold, who has made 353 senior appearances for Liverpool, was one of the best players in the club’s history.

“I told him yesterday, don’t give me eye contact in your farewell,” the 32-year-old added.

“I really love him. I think he deserves the best farewell leaving the club. He’s done a lot for the city and done a lot for the club and he’s one of probably the best players in the club’s history.

“I think he needed a new challenge. He spoke to me about it. It’s his decision for sure. He’s 25, 26 years old and won it all twice or three times. What more (could) he have done?”

Meanwhile, Brighton boss Fabian Hurzeler said that his side has missed senior players this season.

He said: “We have older players in our squad, but they weren’t always able to be on the pitch.

“So when we look at the availability of them, we had this season like James Milner, who is crucial for us on the pitch but wasn’t there, Jason Steele had some injuries, Lewis Dunk wasn’t always getting into his rhythm, Adam Webster too, so we had already like four players who weren’t there as leaders all the time.

“And you need these leaders in a team who give the players support, who run the training sessions, who make the standards.” REUTERS

See more on