Neymar included in Brazil’s World Cup squad after injury struggles

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti names Santos' Neymar in his squad during the press conference on May 18.

Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti names Santos' Neymar in his squad during the press conference on May 18.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

Neymar has been named in Brazil’s squad for the World Cup, coach Carlo Ancelotti said on May 18, handing the forward a chance to return to international football’s biggest stage after an injury-disrupted cycle.

The 34-year-old, Brazil’s all-time leading scorer, comes back following a prolonged absence due to a series of injuries that kept him out for much of the qualifying campaign, as the five-time champions pursue a record-extending sixth title.

As dozens of journalists gathered at Rio de Janeiro’s Museum of Tomorrow for a ceremony featuring music acts and celebrity guests, all eyes were on Ancelotti’s decision on whether to include Neymar in the squad.

The 66-year-old Italian, who took charge of Brazil’s national team in 2025, had not previously called up the former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain player. He told Reuters earlier in May that Neymar’s inclusion would be based on fitness and form, not sentiment.

“We evaluated Neymar throughout the year and noticed that recently he has been playing consistently and has improved his physical condition,” Ancelotti said at a press conference on May 18.

“He has the same role and responsibilities as everyone else, but he is an experienced player. It’s true that in some positions we prioritised experience.”

Neymar, who has 79 international goals but has not featured for Brazil since 2023, has faced questions about his fitness and form following an injury-marred spell at Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal and an underwhelming return to his boyhood club Santos in 2025.

The forward said on May 18 he was satisfied he had done all he could to prove he was fully fit and deserved a place in the squad. “Physically, I feel great. I’ve been improving with every game,” he told reporters after Santos’ 3-0 defeat by Coritiba.

The rest of Brazil’s squad were largely retained from the qualifying campaign and recent friendlies, with the likes of Vinicius Jr, Raphinha, Matheus Cunha and Endrick shouldering attacking duties alongside Neymar.

Real Madrid striker Rodrygo, defender Eder Militao and Chelsea winger Estevao were left out due to injuries. Blues forward Joao Pedro and midfielder Andrey Santos – who had been called up on previous occasions – also surprisingly missed out.

“Some of the players who were with us this year won’t be happy with this list. I’m sorry and I want to thank everyone who was with us,” Ancelotti said.

Brazil will open their World Cup campaign against Morocco on June 13 in New Jersey. They also face Haiti and Scotland in Group C.
REUTERS

See more on