Paris Saint-Germain agree deal to sell Neymar to Saudi side Al-Hilal: multiple reports

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

Neymar’s anticipated departure from PSG would follow that of Lionel Messi who now plays for Inter Miami in the United States.

Neymar’s anticipated departure from PSG would follow that of Lionel Messi who now plays for Inter Miami in the United States.

PHOTO: AFP

Google Preferred Source badge

Brazil forward Neymar is headed for Saudi Arabia after Pro League side Al-Hilal agreed a two-year deal with Paris Saint-Germain, Saudi state media reported on Monday.

There was no immediate comment from the Ligue 1 champions, owned by Qatar Sports Investments, but French newspaper L’Equipe said the deal could net the 31-year-old Neymar €160 million (S$236.6 million).

The transfer fee was reported to be about €90 million plus add-ons and subject to completing a medical. A source close to PSG told AFP that Neymar “no longer figured in the club or manager’s plans”.

Meanwhile, sources close to the operation told Reuters that Neymar was having a medical in Paris on Monday and was expected to arrive in Riyadh on Wednesday to be presented to fans at King Fahd Stadium.

Al-Hilal, managed by Portuguese coach Jorge Jesus, play Al-Fayha on Saturday with Neymar expected to wear the No. 10 shirt.

Neymar, who joined PSG in 2017 from Spanish club Barcelona for a world-record transfer fee of €222 million, missed PSG’s league opener against Lorient on Saturday due to a viral infection.

The Brazilian was contracted to stay in the French capital until 2025 and has 118 goals in 173 appearances, capturing numerous trophies including five Ligue 1 titles, but is no longer considered a key player in coach Luis Enrique’s squad.

Multiple sources said he had hoped to return to Barcelona on a loan agreement, but the Spanish side’s financial issues had made that unfeasible.

Al-Hilal had previously tried to sign Argentinian Lionel Messi, who opted to join Major League Soccer’s Inter Miami. They also had a world-record €300 million bid for PSG’s France international Kylian Mbappe accepted in July, but he rejected the offer.

After being sidelined for several weeks amid an ongoing contract dispute, the French star is now back in the fold, for the time being at least.

“After very constructive and positive discussions between Paris Saint-Germain and Kylian Mbappe before the PSG-Lorient match, the player was reinstated in first-team training this morning,” PSG said in a statement on Sunday.

The most successful club in Saudi Arabia and Asia, Al-Hilal have won 66 trophies and hold the record for league and Asian Champions League titles, with 18 and four of them respectively.

Strengthening the squad is a priority for the Riyadh-based club, as the Saudi Public Investment Fund announced in June an investment and privatisation project which involved league champions Al-Ittihad, Al-Ahli, Al-Nassr and Al-Hilal.

Kylian Mbappe has refused to sign an extension to his PSG deal, meaning he can leave for free next year.

PHOTO: AFP

The Saudi Pro League season kicked off on Friday after spending close to half a billion dollars luring a host of top players and coaches from European powerhouses.

Cristiano Ronaldo joined Al-Nassr last season soon after the World Cup in a deal which made him the highest-paid athlete on the planet, while Al-Ittihad signed Karim Benzema from Real Madrid.

Champions League winners Riyad Mahrez, Edouard Mendy and Roberto Firmino have all signed for Al-Ahli. 

In another sign of the growing impact of the Saudis in world football, Roberto Mancini was reported on Sunday to be the man lined up to become the coach of the country’s national team after his shock resignation from European champions Italy. REUTERS, AFP

See more on