Man United sporting director Dan Ashworth targets sustained success

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag speaks with his players during the pre-season match against Rosenborg BK on July 15, 2024.

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag speaks with his players during the pre-season match against Rosenborg BK on July 15.

PHOTO: AFP

Google Preferred Source badge

Manchester United sporting director Dan Ashworth said on July 22 that the club’s new hierarchy is determined to restore the team’s tarnished reputation after “falling below the required standards” last season.

The 53-year-old is part of a new football brain trust at Old Trafford installed by Jim Ratcliffe after the British billionaire purchased a minority stake in the Red Devils.

Ratcliffe has control over United’s football operations and earlier in 2024 underlined his determination to knock Manchester City “off their perch” as the English Premier League’s dominant force.

United finished eighth and 31 points behind champions City in the league, but gave a glimpse of their potential by beating Pep Guardiola’s side in the FA Cup final.

That proved enough to save Erik ten Hag’s job after the United manager was reportedly close to the sack.

Ashworth, who took up his new role at the start of July after leaving Newcastle, admitted it is not enough that United are a commercial powerhouse, because the on-pitch performance lags behind their financial strength.

“This remains one of the biggest football clubs in the world, but that is not our measure of success,” he said in a message to supporters published on the United website.

“The focus is on getting back to being among the best on the pitch. It won’t happen overnight, but, together with (new chief executive) Omar (Berrada) and his new leadership team, we will not rest until we have achieved it.

“We are all clear that last season fell below the required standards in the Premier League and Champions League but, by winning the FA Cup in such impressive fashion, our players and staff showed what they are capable of when everyone pulls together and performs to their potential.

“Our collective challenge is to reach those levels much more consistently.”

United have already been busy in the transfer market since the end of last season, bringing in Netherlands forward Joshua Zirkzee from Bologna and highly-rated teenage French defender Leny Yoro from Lille.

Ratcliffe had reportedly spoken to former Bayern Munich and Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel about taking charge at United before eventually sticking with ten Hag.

And Ashworth believes the decision will be vindicated in the long term.

“Our first big decision of the summer was to extend Erik ten Hag’s contract as men’s first-team manager to June 2026, reflecting our strong belief in him as one of Europe’s top coaches, and the partner we want to continue working with to get the team back to the levels expected,” he added.

“Already, I can feel a strong sense of energy and determination around the group, as the players and staff return fresh from their breaks, including some exciting new additions to the squad, and to the coaching team.”

On the blue side of Manchester, City manager Guardiola has poured cold water on reports linking Kevin de Bruyne with a move to Saudi Arabia.

The Belgian midfielder, whose contract expires in 2025, said in June that he is not ruling out a move but Guardiola believes there will be no major changes to the squad before the end of the transfer window, which closes Aug 30.

“Kevin is not going,” he said at North Carolina State University on July 22 ahead of their opening US tour match against Celtic.

“I am delighted with the squad for many years. I don’t know what will happen in the market, if someone leaves, we will talk about that. But 85-95 per cent we (will) have the same squad.”

City signed 20-year-old Brazilian winger Savinho last week and Guardiola confirmed that Kalvin Phillips, who was on loan to West Ham United, has been training with the first team.

“Savinho can play on the wing, and when he is one-v-one, he is devastating,” the manager added.

“He is young and to bring in one or two players to keep things fresh, it is necessary. But we cannot change six or seven. It is impossible and unsustainable.” AFP, REUTERS


See more on