Javier Mascherano says Argentina racist chants video ‘taken out of context’
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
Enzo Fernandez has apologised for his video on social media.
PHOTO: AFP
Follow topic:
PARIGNE – Javier Mascherano, the coach of Argentina’s Olympic football squad, said on July 17 that a video showing racist chants by national team players
“Argentinians, if there’s one thing we’re not, it’s racists, far from that,” he said at Argentina’s pre-Olympic training base in north-western France.
The chants were heard during a live video posted on social media by Chelsea and Argentina midfielder Enzo Fernandez from the team bus, in the wake of the Copa victory over Colombia in Miami on July 14.
“I know Enzo, he’s a great guy. He doesn’t have any problems like that,” insisted Mascherano.
“Often, as part of a celebration, you can take part of a video and take it out of context.
“If there’s one thing we are as a country, it’s a totally inclusive country. People from all over the world live in Argentina and we treat them as they should be treated.”
Fifa said earlier on July 17 it was opening an investigation into the chant, which dates back to the 2022 World Cup final after Argentina beat France.
“Fifa strongly condemns any form of discrimination by anyone including players, fans and officials,” said a spokesman for world football’s governing body.
The song targets France’s star striker Kylian Mbappe – who has African roots – and includes homophobic insults.
Chelsea have, on their part, launched an internal disciplinary procedure against Fernandez over the incident.
Former Argentina captain Mascherano also spoke of a “cultural” misunderstanding.
“Sometimes you have to understand the culture of each country, and sometimes what we perceive as a joke can be misinterpreted elsewhere,” he said.
“Enzo also made it known on social media that he apologised.
“Sometimes people try to make things much bigger than they are.”
Racism is a serious issue in football and in a separate incident, a Spanish court has on July 17 handed down an eight-month suspended jail term to a person for online racist abuse targeting Real Madrid’s black players Vinicius Jr and Antonio Rudiger.
Real said the individual “acting under various pseudonyms on the digital forum of the Marca newspaper, directed serious racist attacks and insults against our players”.
“The court ordered the accused to serve eight months in prison and not to participate in the above-mentioned forum for 20 months,” the club said.
The accused was found guilty of two offences against Brazilian Vinicius and Rudiger, both aggravated by the fact that he acted with racist motives and, in the case of the German defender, also in contempt of his religion.
The suspended prison sentence was made conditional on the defendant’s participation in a non-discrimination programme.
Real also pointed out that it was the second criminal conviction for racist insults against their players.
On June 10, three Valencia fans were sentenced to eight months’ jail for racist insults targeting Vinicius in May 2023. AFP

