Football: Bomb victim Bartra back in training, says Dortmund

Bartra (above, in a file photo) is back in team training the club announced on May 10, 2017.
Bartra (above, in a file photo) is back in team training the club announced on May 10, 2017.PHOTO: AFP

BERLIN (AFP) - Marc Bartra returned to training on Wednesday (May 10), almost exactly a month after his wrist was fractured in a bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus.

"There's good news," proclaimed Dortmund in a statement. "Central defender Marc Bartra is back in team training exactly 29 days after undergoing an operation on his right hand and wrist following the bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus."

The 26-year-old Spaniard's wrist was fractured and he was hit by shards of broken glass after three bombs exploded beside the Dortmund bus ahead of their Champions League quarter-final first leg against Monaco on April 11.

The match at Dortmund's Westfalenstadion was delayed 24 hours due to the attack before the hosts lost 3-2, eventually going down 6-3 on aggregate against the French league leaders.

A 28-year-old German-Russian has been charged with carrying out the attack, believed to have been motivated by greed.

Joining Bartra back in training was Turkish midfielder Nuri Sahin, who had been out since injuring an ankle on April 22, the club said.n