FIFA set to increase 2026 World Cup prize money
Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox
FIFA says the prize money on offer for the 2026 World Cup is set to increase with the world governing body projected to surpass US$11 billion in revenue.
PHOTO: REUTERS
NEW YORK – In response to requests by European teams to increase prize money and to assist with costs associated with their participation in the World Cup this summer, football’s world governing body FIFA is set to fulfil those wishes – for all 48 countries taking part in the tournament.
FIFA has had discussions with national associations to boost funding and the proposals are expected to be approved at the FIFA Council meeting on April 28 in Vancouver, Canada.
The World Cup, which will run from June 11 to July 19, is expected to bring in revenue in excess of US$11 billion (S$14.01 billion).
UEFA, European football’s governing body, contacted FIFA after hearing from several of its member associations regarding the costs of taking part in the World Cup, including travel, operations and taxes, particularly in the US.
Canada and Mexico are the other host countries this summer.
In December, FIFA said prize money for the 2026 World Cup would be 50 per cent higher than for the previous edition at US$655 million, after agreeing a record US$727 million financial contribution to the tournament, with the winners taking home US$50 million and each team receiving at least US$10.5 million.
Since that announcement, the body and national associations have engaged in talks aiming to resolve the issue before April 30, when the FIFA Congress takes place.
In March, The Athletic reported that FIFA had trimmed more than US$100 million from its World Cup operating departments, causing concern for host cities and their plans, which had already been scaled down due to budgeting issues.
Among US host cities, only Houston and Philadelphia are going ahead with their original plans for the 39-day global showpiece.
“Ahead of a FIFA Council meeting in Vancouver, Canada, on 28 April, 2026, FIFA can confirm it is in discussions with associations around the world to increase available revenues,” a FIFA spokesperson told The Athletic.
“This includes a proposed increase of financial contributions to all qualified teams for the FIFA World Cup 2026 and of development funding available to all 211 member associations.
“The FIFA World Cup 2026 will be ground-breaking in terms of its financial contribution to the global football community and FIFA is proud to be in its strongest-ever financial position to benefit the global game through its FIFA Forward programme.”
The body’s 2025 annual report said 93 per cent of its total budgeted revenue had already been contracted by the end of 2025, thanks to the success of the inaugural 32-team Club World Cup held in the US that year. REUTERS


