Fifa rules out sanctions against Brazil after CBF chief Ednaldo Rodrigues returns

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FIFA president Gianni Infantino greets Brazil soccer confederation president Ednaldo Rodrigues - Sofia Hotel, Barcelona, Spain - June 15, 2023  FIFA president Gianni Infantino greets Brazil soccer confederation president Ednaldo Rodrigues REUTERS/File Photo

Fifa president Gianni Infantino (left) greets Brazil football confederation president Ednaldo Rodrigues in June 2023.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

World football’s governing body has ruled out sanctions against Brazil following

the return of the country’s football federation (CBF) president Ednaldo Rodrigues,

who was removed by a court in Rio de Janeiro in December, Fifa’s director of legal affairs Emilio Garcia said on Jan 8.

The Rio de Janeiro Court of Justice removed Rodrigues from his post on Dec 7 and appointed an interim president to organise new elections after a dispute over the CBF’s electoral process.

But Federal Supreme Court judge Gilmar Mendes last week ordered Rodrigues’ return to office, claiming that his dismissal by the courts could cause Brazil’s suspension from international football competitions by Fifa and damage Brazilian football.

“We’re relieved by the Supreme Court’s decision, which restores the presidency of Rodrigues on the basis of a free and democratic decision by Brazilian football,” said Garcia.

“We’re happy that we’re back to the original situation in which Brazilian football elected its president. Brazilian football was at very high risk of being expelled from international competitions. That was ruled out for the moment after the Supreme Court decision and is no longer on the table.”

CBF president Rodrigues thanked Fifa and South American football’s governing body Conmebol for their support.

“This is the moment that restores normality to Brazilian football. We have many commitments for our calendar and we now want to concentrate on the development of Brazilian football,” he said.

“I was elected in a clear, transparent way. Brazilian football wins when its autonomy is restored. We can now be sure Brazil’s clubs and national teams will take part in international competitions.”

Brazil are sixth in the South American qualifying standings for the 2026 World Cup, after suffering three straight defeats by Uruguay, Colombia and Argentina.

The top six teams earn automatic qualification to the global showpiece, while the seventh-placed finisher advances to the intercontinental play-offs, a situation the five-time world champions would hope to avoid. 

Rodrigues also announced the dismissal of Fernando Diniz as Brazil’s interim coach on Jan 5, the day after resuming his post.

Former Sao Paulo coach Dorival Junior is expected to be presented as the Selecao’s new manager by Jan 10. His first match is likely to be a friendly against England at Wembley on March 23. REUTERS

See more on