FIFA officials to meet Iranian FA to discuss World Cup on May 16, says source

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

General view as FIFA secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom addresses the world football governing body's 76th congress - at Vancouver Convention Centre in Canada on April 30, 2026.

General view as FIFA secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom addresses the world football governing body's 76th congress - at Vancouver Convention Centre in Canada on April 30, 2026.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

FIFA secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom will meet Iranian FA (FFIRI) officials in Istanbul on May 16 and offer “reassurance” over Iran’s participation in the World Cup, a source familiar with the talks has told Reuters.

Iran are scheduled to play all three World Cup group matches in the United States but the team’s participation in the June 11 to July 19 tournament has been in question since the US and Israel attacked Iran in late February.

More questions arose after FFIRI president Mehdi Taj, a former member of Tehran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), and two colleagues flew home after being “insulted” by Canadian immigration officers in Toronto en route to the FIFA congress in Vancouver earlier this month.

Both the US and Canada, which are co-hosting the World Cup with Mexico, classify the IRGC as a “terrorist entity” and have made it clear they will not admit people with links to the elite military force.

Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs, said in a social media post this week that it was incumbent on FIFA to ensure that all teams and their delegations were able to get into the host countries.

“The Iranian national football team has earned its right to participate on the field in accordance with FIFA regulations,” he wrote.

“Any obstruction to the entry of players, technical staff, federation officials, or essential members of the Iranian delegation would violate the spirit and purpose of the World Cup...

“If the organising body cannot guarantee that all qualified teams, including Iran, can enter the host country without discrimination or restriction and compete on equal terms, the credibility of the World Cup itself will be damaged.”

The source said FIFA was working closely with the relevant authorities to ensure all teams at the World Cup were able to compete in a safe and secure environment.

US President Donald Trump said two weeks ago that he was “okay” with Iran playing at the World Cup despite the conflict between the countries that was triggered by air strikes on the Islamic Republic.

Iran had asked that their World Cup matches be switched to Mexico but FIFA president Gianni Infantino insists that all games be played at the grounds originally scheduled.

The Iranian national team will leave Tehran for a training camp in Turkey on Monday before moving on to their U.S. base at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Arizona in early June.

Iran are scheduled to get their World Cup campaign under way against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15.

They then meet Belgium on June 21, also in Los Angeles. On June 26, Iran are scheduled to play Egypt in Seattle. Should they advance, the rest of their games would also be held in the US. REUTERS

See more on